Generator Won't start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClickHill

2015 Itasca Meridian with an RV QD 8000 Onan generator
Last week while in Louisiana the generator started right up and ran with no problem.  On the way home I tried to start the generator and all I got was a rapid flashing red light on all three starting point and a clicking sound at the generator just like you would hear on a car with a dead/low battery.
This week I replaced both original coach batteries because they tested at 12.2 volts (which I thought was a little low).
I also replaced all six original house batteries - 5 tested at 12.2ish and 1 tested at 10.7, they now all test at 14.7
I checked the generator oil and antifreeze levels - both are good.
I checked all three in-line fuses that are under the cover that is on the drivers side near the top of the generator - all three fuses are good.
Still no joy - I push the generator start button and I get a rapid flashing light with the clicking sound like its not getting enough power, it doesn't even try to turn over.  I push the start button down to preheat and get the same fast flashing light with the clicking sound.

What suggestions can you give for me to check/do?

Go underneath to the rear corner,, find the battery plus and ground leads attachment point,, remove one at a time, clean the stud and wire end. Do this to both leads and tighten well,, then try to start again.>>>Dan ( I had the same problem)

I have had a RV generator starter engage and then not retract when trying to start with low voltage.  I would ensure that no one is near a start button and that there are no auto gen starts enabled and if you can grab the fly wheel and try to rotate it.  If the gen will not rotate the the starter is jammed engaged and wont start until it is return to its natural starting position, if you are lucky and you can pull or push on flywheel to unstick it, it will start again.  The only other way is to remove the starter which is a pain and $$.

The QD Onan won't do that, the starting sequence is electronic and won't start until all parameters are checked & approved before engaging the starter,,,I think you are referring to the gas models.>>>Dan

I climbed under there today and removed and cleaned with a wire brush both the pos and neg wire ends still just clicking.  I think I will have to make an appointment with an Onan service center.

While at that point,, have your wife hold down the start button as you test the voltage at the attachment point to determine if your getting full voltage from the batteries.>>>D

2015  Ya, probably an issue.  Most corrosion, bad wire, etc takes longer to establish than 2 years.

Since you said your house batteries had to be replaced...I will tell you I had the same experience with the generator not starting because of low batteries. In my case, the Bendix on the starter motor shaft locked up against the fan (I can't think of the name of the part that rotates) and was stuck. I had to remove the generator, then remove the starter motor. I merely returned the starter motor again, and all was fine. I have read of others on this Forum having the same problem with the Bendix. Another symptom you will experience is that if you continue to try to start it, you will get a smell like something burning. Do no keep forcing the generator to start because it will just aggravate the situation.

I just remembered the name: it is the flywheel. On my generator, an Onan KWK 4000, I could reach in and try to turn the flywheel by hand, and when it would not turn, I knew it was stuck.  Try that, if you generator will allow you, before removing the generator.

Thank you - I went under the bus today to check the volts at the back of the generator where the wires go in and I have 12.8 there so it is getting full power to that point.  Tomorrow I am going to take the side panel off to see if I have a loose wire inside somewhere, check the starter and check voltage all the way to the starter to see where it is not full.  If I have full voltage to the starter and no loose wires I will pull the starter and hook it to a battery to see if it acutes.  I am going to keep at this as long as I can before giving in to a mechanic so keep any advice or experience you have coming.

I will continue to give updates so if someone else runs into this they can read this thread.

Remember that 12.8 volts with no load means very little. It doesn't take a lot of corrosion (resistance) at some point in the circuit to cause that voltage to drop to an unacceptable level when you try to crank the engine.

Tom

I did check the voltage when I was pushing the start button and it didn't change.  I went into the basement today and removed every battery wire in the series and cleaned every end with a wire wheel on my cordless.  Then I took off the left side and top covers of the generator, removed the starter and cleaned every end of every wire and grounding points with the wire wheel.  I checked voltage at the starter and it is the same as at the batteries.  I checked every wire and connection on the generator that I could see and everything looked fine.  I took the starter to Advanced Auto to have it tested and it operated just fine but the tester said it had a terminal R failure.  I'm not sure but I think terminal R is the one that goes to the switch?

I will take the starter in to General RV tomorrow to have them test it and see if the solenoid is bad since that is what terminal R is on.  If the solenoid and starter check out okay at General RV I think I have to put everything back together and take it in.  I'm not ready to quit yet but I'm more or less a one trick pony and I think that trick is about played. :-\

I took the starter in today and both the starter and the solenoid are good, I will put the starter back on tomorrow.  I also found out there is another solenoid up by the starter switch that feeds the R tab on the starter.  I have to remove the entire front of the gen to access that solenoid.

I reinstalled the starter today and buttoned all the panels back up.  Now I'm not even sure if I have a generator problem or a power problem.  After I reinstalled the starter, the case panels and the power and neg wires I rechcked the power in at the back of the gen and it was down to 12.38, this is from 6 brand new house batteries.  I started the rig up and let it run for a while and the batteries were back up to 13.8 at the batteries and at the back of the gen but the gen still won't start.  I'm thinking I may have a power problem which I simply first noticed because the gen won't start and maybe the gen is actually fine.

This is a 2015 Itasca Merdian 36M which is inside my garage.  It has a solar panel on the roof but since its inside it gets no sun on the roof.  It has a Magnum 2800 inverter which seems to be working correctly but the batteries are still losing power overnight and nothing, I mean nothing is turned on and the bus is plugged in.

Any thoughts?

I always do that because the QD series is touchy about low voltage.>>>Dan  Click,,one more "try" access the front of the gen.,,depress the STOP side of the rocker switch, then attempt to restart it,,that is the "work around for some of the listed faults.  While holding down the stop switch,, note the number of flashes,,your manual should tell you if faults are current.>>>Dan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom