A study in apathy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utclmjmpr

Its astounding and telling that out of 74K people of FMCA, only 11K voted concerning allowing towables to be include. So 63 thousand folks really didn't care.>>>Dan

That should tell you how few people actually cared one way or the other.

Most folks I've talked to were undecided,,no one can tell what the future will bring on any decision, most were willing to just sit back and "wait & see".>>>D

Maybe ambivalence rather than apathy  ???  Personally, I could understand the arguments pro and con, and didn't feel strongly enough about one v the other.

As the president of a "type" club chapter,, we will continue as always,, why would a corvette club allow in a mustang or a prius.??>>>D

[quote author=Utclmjmpr]... why would a corvette club allow in a mustang or a prius.??[/quote]

A more correct analogy might be allowing sedans and hybrids into an automotive club, alongside 'sports/performance' type cars such as Corvettes.

It may surprise you to find how many are unwilling to dilute the "type" in a type club.. 5 years ago the club that I now preside over voted to allow NON GM motor coaches as members on a selected basis, now we have 6 SOBs (some other brands) and I am the first NON GM owner to become president.>>>D

Understood. But here we're talking about towables (and maybe other RVs) in addition to motorhomes in an RV club, rather than specific brands or chassis.

We enjoy RVing with folks irrespective what type or brand of RV they have, and enjoy their friendships and cameraderie, rather than worry about what type of RV they have. One of our kids has a gas coach and another went from a trailer to a fifthwheel to a tent, to a tent trailer; They're still our kids and grandkids that we're 'camping' with.

My intent was not to hash over the "towables" question,but to question the miserable vote turnout among members whom are apparently as diverse as FMCA has become.>>>D (And I have been a member for 15 years)

We're about to come around full circle, so time for me to bow out of this discussion.

Utclmjmpr said:
Its astounding and telling that out of 74K people of FMCA, only 11K voted concerning allowing towables to be include. So 63 thousand folks really didn't care.>>>Dan

A lot depends on the issue. IN this case, This issue. makes basically NO DIFFERENCE to me. I do not wish to take the time to research the issuer fully so rather than just cast a Knee Jerk vote. (Which is as jerk vote, knee or not) I asbstained.

Other issues.. Well  Some issues are more serious. as in Life, or that other option I am trying to avoid.  I always vote in those elections... But this one will not affect me at all.  So i did not vote.

So it's not a study in apathy so much as a study in what matters and what does not.

Agree with John.  In this case, those who voted most likely are people actively involved in FMCA, such as those who attend the rallies and belong to chapters.  If you don't participate in functions the organization  (whether FMCA or another one) probably isn't a high priority so you'll do things that are more relevant to your life.

ArdraF

At this point in our life, if all I had to concern myself with was an FMCA ballot on towables, I would feel very fortunate.  Life often interrupts and requires a readjustment of priorities.

ArdraF said:
Agree with John.  In this case, those who voted most likely are people actively involved in FMCA, such as those who attend the rallies and belong to chapters.  If you don't participate in functions the organization  (whether FMCA or another one) probably isn't a high priority so you'll do things that are more relevant to your life.

ArdraF

One of the best responses I've seen on the subject.

I'm the webmaster of our local FMCA chapter and the wife is our secretary. We have strong interests in the FMCA opening up to other types of RVs and will continue to support the FMCA and our chapter.
We can only hope that those negative to change will either get over it and join in with the new members or go away. It should be all about good times and good friends.

Richard

The last two responses make my point, I am not arguing about the inclusion of towables or not,but I am surprised that members,(and they would have to be, to vote either chapter or not) would not be as interested in the future of the organization (one way or another) as I am.. Just like my participation on this forum, and my chapter, I feel after 40 years in RVing I have some expertise to offer.>>>D

I feel after 40 years in RVing I have some expertise to offer.

Dan, nobody has questioned your expertise or experience, in this or prior discussions. But you don't seem to accept that some (many?) members are/were ambivalent to the issue of the vote. If we had a hard opinion, one way or the other, we'd have likely voted. This was the point that John made. The fact that I and many others didn't vote is not, as you've assumed, an indication of apathy.

I've RV'd for a mere 32 years (if I exclude the years I RV'd with my parents), and have been an FMCA member for less than 20 years, but I don't see how either of those numbers relate to the discussion. I can go with whatever the outcome of the vote is/was; Neither outcome is a concern for me.

[quote author=rls7201]One of the best responses I've seen on the subject.[/quote]

Aye, Ardra has a way with words.

We can only hope that those negative to change will either get over it and join in with the new members

Agree.

... or go away

That's where we disagree; I don't wish that any FMCA members should go away. They're still welcome to their opinions, and the fact that you and I don't want to hear them is not a reason to wish they'd go away.

It should be all about good times and good friends.

Agreed, and in our case, that includes family members who are RVers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom