Tire recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

Tire replacement on tow vehicle going to happen before long.  Truck is a 2008 GMC 2500hd diesel crew cab 2wd.  Pulling a 5th wheel weighing 9,800 lbs. Suggestions?  Anything new on the market? 

I have found a website, www.tirerack.com that you put in specific vehicles, and get recommended tires, with many unbiased reviews.  Hands down, worth a look.

With the 2 wheel drive, you obviously won?t be off-roading,so.... tire wear and comfort come to mind.  I?d have to look at the Michelin LTX M/S2.

These kinds of questions are almost like what is the best engine oil. Lots of opinions. But I have had several  trucks with E rated tires for a long time. Based on my own personal experience, for heavy duty pickups, the best tires I found were Continentals, Goodyear, and Michelin...in that order. Michelin makes great tires for passenger vehicles and high performance use, and their quality control is awesome,  but to me they have missed the mark on providing tires for this particular market. I have Michelin?s on my truck now, and they aren?t wearing very well and the sidewalls seem soft. If I were looking for tires now, I would look at Goodyear?s (because they have a good selection), Continental?s, then Michelin. BTW, I just retired from the Michelin plant that manufactures the proprietary rubber types that go into their tires and they are a great company. This just isn?t a focus area of theirs.

Like anything else, consider what you need the tires for.  If most of your time is towing, that's what you buy for.  If it's occasional towing but mostly just driving w/o the trailer, buy for quieter ride and more mileage.  If it's for occasional off roading and snow, get more aggressive tread.  Just make sure they can carry the heaviest load expected.  I had the factory installed Michelin tires on mine and they were shot after about 50K miles with just a few trips with the trailer.  Not too good in snow.  I now have heavier tread, but they do make more noise.  10 Ply rating, 80# pressure.  Trailer tires are 10 ply, 110# pressure.  GMC 3500HD diesel crew-cab 4x4. SRW

I opted for the tire with the longest mileage guarantee. I ended up with Coppers and a 70,000 mile pro-rating.

A lot of good options for E rated HD road tires.
Assuming you do mostly highway driving, I would shop around the following tires

Firestone Transforce HT
Bf Goodrich Commercial TA All season
Bridgestone Duravis
Cooper Discoverer HT3

These tires are also available in AT style treads if you need something more aggressive, but the HT will last longer if you mainly do highway driving.

All of the above are good quality HD truck tires, so if you have multiple dealers in your area shop around for the best price and service.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom