Mobile Auxiliary Battery Bank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HueyPilotVN

Mobile Auxiliary Battery Bank

This post is long, I think it is interesting but it is long.

This is a new project but I have been working on it on and off for a while.  I even asked Lou about it a couple of years ago.

I carry around 16 batteries, but six of them are in a Golf Cart.  I also have about 1500 watts of solar panels between the coach and the Stacker.  I am sure that much of the time the charging electricity from the solar panels is not going anywhere because the batteries are full. 

So I came up with a very easy method of increasing the size of the battery bank by double or even triple the capacity using the golf cart batteries.

The challenge in using the 660 amp hours of capacity has been that the golf cart is wired in series to provide 36 volts and what I need to attach the batteries to either of my RV battery banks is 12 volts.

Now if I had all the time in the world while boondocking I guess that I could rewire the batteries in an hour or so.  I wanted a very quick and easy way to switch from 36 to 12 volts and back in seconds, not hours.

The solution involved using the quick disconnect switches that many of us use to manually disconnect a battery in storage.  These switches have a plastic key.  When you insert the key and turn it right the connection is made and the switch is closed.  If the key is removed the switch is open and no current flows thru it.

This was a perfect method for allowing me to safely reconfigure the wiring with only six switches.  Starting by making sure that no keys are inserted all six switches the golf cart are open, battery banks configuration is three 12 volt batteries that are not connected in parallel.  If you put in only the two red keys and close only the two red switches the factory wiring is restored and you have 36 volts of power to use the golf cart as a golf cart.

If you put in only the four green keys and close only the four green switches then you have the functional equivalent of a very large series/parallel 12 volt battery with 660 amp hours of storage capacity.

Never put all six keys in and turn them.  Either two red for 36 volts or four green for 12 volts.  Using the configuration this way is perfectly safe. However turning all switches on will cause shorts.  If you do this then you need to understand how this works. 

By using the heavy duty connecting cables rated for 175 amps as shown in the pictures to hook up in parallel you can convert a typical battery bank of 4 T-105s with a capacity of 440 amp hours into a 1.1K amp hour bank that has a 250% higher capacity.

I now have these 4 battery configurations in both the coach and the stacker.  By having the connector plugs, (similar to a heavy duty version of the typical winch plug) I can choose to more than double either of the battery banks.

I can also benefit by using the 1500 watts of solar to also charge my golf cart even if I do not need it for increasing the RV bank capacity by just switching it to 12 volt mode.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• r original wiring.jpg
    r original wiring.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 50
  • r factory wiring.jpg
    r factory wiring.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 42
  • r final wiring solution chart.jpg
    r final wiring solution chart.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 32
  • r chart easier to understand.jpg
    r chart easier to understand.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 22
  • r final wiring solution.jpg
    r final wiring solution.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 38
  • r battery switch.jpg
    r battery switch.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 31
  • r switches close up.jpg
    r switches close up.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 34
  • r switch keys.jpg
    r switch keys.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 25
  • r connectors 175 amp.jpg
    r connectors 175 amp.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 29
  • r solution without moving batts.jpg
    r solution without moving batts.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 24
  • r 175 amp connectors.jpg
    r 175 amp connectors.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 33
You need a motorcycle or a quad or a side by side. If you already have those toys and a golf cart you are not using them enough! :)

QZ said:
You need a motorcycle or a quad or a side by side. If you already have those toys and a golf cart you are not using them enough! :)

It seems us boys simply can't have enough toys. :)

I, who was planning to carry a simple TW200 motorcycle as an emergency vehicle and to help explore the more  remote/rugged locations, am feeling positively outclassed. ;-)

Cheers
--
  Vall.

Great idea. Nice write-up and execution.

Any idea what the contact resistance is when the switch is on?
Just wondering how much voltage drop there is across each switch under load.

I assume the highest current will likely be from the golf cart and only two of the switches are in the circuit then.

Tom

Tom,

I just now saw your post.

I do not know what the contact resistance is for each switch.

I can tell you that they are heavy duty switches used to disconnect 12 volt batteries and typical for RV use.

In addition, when I switch from one configuration to the other there is no load at all because the plug in connectors are disconnected. and I connect them after switching.

Since this original post I added connecting cables to each end of the golf cart battery bank so that I can link all three battery banks, (the golf cart, the Coach. and the Stacker) to create a battery bank of about 1600 amp hours.  The cables let me park the golf cart next to the rigs and will reach both smaller banks.

I also added inline 100 amp fuses in the positive wire of the connecting cables just to be safe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom