Dometic Vent problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dane

I have a 4Wheel popup slide in truck camper with a Dometic RM 2354, won't cool effectively using propane, I believe the problem is that the flue vent is routed so that exhaust gas collects behind the top of the unit. It has an aux fan that is supposed to blow the exhaust out the top vent (this is a side mount, no roof exhaust). I have seen online that some units can have the flue plumbed to the outside with an elbow, but I can't find the part online to do that. Two different techs have id'd the vent issue, but it is apparently installed the way Dometic specifies.  It cools fine on AC (25 degrees), but on propane it warms up to 50 degrees, and if I don't run the aux fan the top of the fridge inside the camper is almost too hot to touch.
Any suggestions?

If it cools OK on AC, you don't have a vent issue. The heat generated at the boiler is the same either way - about 350 degrees F., which is the temperature needed to drive the absorption chiller cycle. The "exhaust gases" of the LP burner aren't really a factor.

It does, though, sound as if something is making the LP mode run too hot. If the condensor tubing cannot shed enough heat, much of the ammonia/hydrogen mix stays as a gas and the cooling cycle slows dramatically.  Have you observed the LP flame - maybe it is excessive? It should be nicely blue but rather tiny.

It is a nice blue flame, about ? in. tall, there are a row of 4 flames inline at the bottom of the burner.

I don't recall a fridge having four flames, but I haven't had a Dometic fridge since 2006. The Norcold in my last rig had just one flame about 1/4" high.

Addendum: I just checked some photos of a Dometic fridge burner and it does indeed have multiple slots and thus multiple flames.

Back
Top Bottom