Newbie Floor/Frame Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuantumXleap13

Hi all!!
I bought a 2004 quantum and have been full timing for about 5 months. I have found issues with the camper, but nothing that a little googling hasn't informed me on how to fix.
Recently I have found a floor issue and cannot find information on it specifically, even with pouring over forums, Google, YouTube, ect.

I noticed a few weeks ago that my flooring along the frame has started to raise. It's hard, so I don't believe it's rot and I checked and it's bumped up almost entirely down one side of the rv(appears to be over the frame).
The rv guy that towed it to our site, was also the one who leveled it before we got there. I was wondering if this sounds like improper leveling and it's causing stress on the frame and pushing up? I'm at a loss and any information is extremely helpful! Thank you!!

If leveling stressed the frame enough that it actually bent upwards along one rail, you had serious frame problems anyway.  Improper leveling can introduce twist that pushes walls & doors out of square, but should not cause the sort of thing you describe.  The two big frame rails should be rigid enough that cannot happen. Should be...

Basically there is a light metal grid laid over the trailer frame rails & its few cross-members. The grid supports the subfloor, which is typically a plywood and insulation sandwich. If that grid broke loose from the trailer frame, I suppose one section could rise.  I would expect more of a general tilt than a "bump", though.

It's not a large bump, but it's definitely a noticable "raised" area that then slopes down toward the exterior walls.

I really appreciate your response and I'll have a look underneath for any frame damage. Possibly the floor near the exterior has rot and it's sloping and making the bump more noticeable over the solid area of the floor? I'll take some pictures soon to show

A raised area need not be "rotten" in the usual sense. When compressed wood composites get wet, they often expand as the internal glue dissolves and the fibers swell with water.  They lose strength and change shape, but they don't necessarily "rot".  Where swelling wood composite lies over a sturdy frame member, the only way the expansion can go is upwards, resulting in a bump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom