Ceiling Vent Knob Extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

The vent fans in my coach have recessed knobs. With 7 foot ceilings it was all I could do to reach them. Forget it if I was barefooted.

I've seen a number of people have used PVC pipe to make a tool to reach and turn the knob. I didn't want to have to deal with another tool to stow some place.

Here's my solution.

I ordered four of these extensions from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSN4LC

A single screw has to go through the knob, the extensions, and into the fan mechanism.
The thread is 8-32 which is common enough, but long screws are not. I decided to fabricate the screws. (cost $1.04 for the 12" all-thread rod.)

The original setup used about an 1-1/2" extension to get into the housing. I wanted to add two of the 2" extensions to lower the knob 4".

These pictures detail my process.

Picture 1: the original fan and knob

Picture 2: I used a cutoff tool in the lathe to liberate a phillips head from a screw from my junkbox. I left a 0.075" diameter nib, 1/8" long on the head to provide centering and more surface contact area for the silver brazing.

Picture 3: Drilling a 0.077" hole in the threaded rod for the head.

Picture 4: Silver brazing the head to the threaded rod.

Picture 5: The finished extension stack. The bolt was trimmed flush with the end of the extension (about 5-1/2" after trimming).

Picture 6: The knob mounted on the fan.

Attachments

• IMG_3865.JPG
    IMG_3865.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3853.JPG
    IMG_3853.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3866.JPG
    IMG_3866.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 78
Nice job Tom. Another thing you could have possibly done was double nut the end of the threaded rod and even used locktite.

You may want to reply to this post also. Members may be following it:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,110521.msg996621.html#msg996621

I thought about adding to that thread but decided to start anew.
I just put a link in the other thread to this one.
Thanks Rene,
Tom

Another option for folks with limited tools would be to use a cap nut with a screwdriver slot cut into it. A drop of Loctite would serve to keep it in place on the all-thread.

Tom, I agree with justifying all of the toys in the shop!!!

To make sure I understand:  You started with 12" of 8-32 all thread, added a cap or head for the handle end and sleeves over the all thread to set the length.  I assume your extensions are "keyed" to the handle and the fan?

I love your idea!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom