power switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabrown

just a quick question;  I leave coach plugged in when at home, should I leave main power switch on or off while not using. it was pretty cold the other day and when I walked by I could hear the converter running and thought I could smell battery acid. just wondering cked battery levels and ok. jayco class c                    thank you all

Not sure what you consider to be the "main power switch". Battery disconnect?  The 30A or 50A circuit breaker in the load center?

The converter is supposed to be running, to provide 12v power as needed and keep the battery(s) charged.  usually not loud enough to hear, though, unless it is working hard and its fan running to keep it cool. That plus smelling battery acid suggests you have a problem.  Did you check both house and chassis batteries? Or maybe some 12v powered device is running non-stop and consuming a lot of power?

Also: be aware that sometimes the acrid odor of waste water tanks can be much like an acid smell.

I'm talking about the power switch by the door that you have to turn on for I guess anything to work lights etc. booth battery's are almost new, after I unplugged it of coarse quit. water level in battery's was ok

That is the battery disconnect switch and handles 12v items only. Things like air conditioners and wall outlets still have power if you are connected to shore power or running genset. You should leave the 12v battery disconnect switch ON except when storing the coach for longer than several days and not plugged to an external power source. In most rigs the batteries cannot be charged if the switch is Off.

In my coach these are not true battery disconnects. Some 12 volt circuits are still hot even with these set to the disconnect position. For example, if I hit turn the key to start the engine both chassis and house disconnects are turned on.

I haven?t taken the time to figure out what all is hot with them off.

Tom

I forgot to add that the parking lites were on real dim,  the rv ( jayco class c) had been in the barn for about a mo. I thought when I seen that it may not star but it had plenty of battery and started right up. im wondering if mebie the house battery is bad?

The house battery may well be bad but that is not the reason the parking lights are dim as they should be connected to the chassis battery. You should check the ground side of the connections, especially for those parking lights. The "Power Switch" you referred to should not affect those lights either.

Back
Top Bottom