Atwood water heater igniter board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdboltdude

I have a 6gal atwood water heater in my 2013 Sundland 5th wheel
igniter board failed and
repair tech said take igniter board out and take it out of casing to look for burnt wires bad points
has anyone taken igniter board out of casing??? i don't see any screws or how to take it apart
thanks for any help.....
steve

sdboltdude said:
I have a 6gal atwood water heater in my 2013 Sundland 5th wheel
igniter board failed and
repair tech said take igniter board out and take it out of casing to look for burnt wires bad points
has anyone taken igniter board out of casing??? i don't see any screws or how to take it apart
thanks for any help.....
steve

Welcome to the forum.

Do not remove it yet.

What's the model number?

First, disconnect all the wires one at a time and clean the wire contacts. Using a pencil eraser works good for this. Then plug and unplug all the wires several times to help clean the contact places which you can't reach with the eraser.

Most of the igniter boards are 'podded'.  That means sealed in plastic resin.  You might be able to spot burned parts from underneath but trying to chip away the resin is pure foolishness in my humble opinion.

Try what Rene suggested before you do anything else.

Does it have a thermal fuse?  If so take it out or otherwise wire around it.  If it fires up you just saved $150 and now know not to trust that RV tech.  Atwood sells them for $15 a pair on Amazon.  The themal fuse looks like a diode wrapped in a plastic tube.  It will be between the thermostat switches and the igniter board.

Ditto what Muddypaws says. The repair tech is full of crap.

How was it determined the board failed?  It's possible, but relatively rare. Follow Rene's advice first. And please describe what the heater does/doesn't do that makes you think the board is bad.

thanks for every ones help!!!!
board is fine :D
brown fuse wire got burned and 1.blew wire fuse/2.blew 15amp fuse..
While i was at work I had neighbor try his brown fuse wire and presto heater kicked right on..
from what I have read so far its a blockage in air tube. I will clean out tube and report back this morning....
Steve

The "fuse wire" is a thermal cutoff, designed to fail if there is a severe overheat condition that the thermostat cannot detect, e.g. the gas flame escapes the burner tube. Be very careful until you are sure the thermal problem has been corrected.

Yes i will be careful for sure and make sure its running right.....
if I cant fix I will hire tech...
hopefully a little cleaning up will fix...
thanks Wiz.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom