Grand Design for Boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonrev321

Hello, 

Am considering a Grand Design 2670MK for boondocking (approx 32ft).  Has good size tanks but I can't find much information regarding people who have actually used a Grand design for boondocking.

Has anyone here used a Grand Design TT for boondocking?  Any observations or advise would be appreciated

Rgds

nonrev

When boondocking, the most common limiting factors are holding tank sizes, and power. New RVers are often surprised at how much water they use (and waste) and how fast their batteries run down. Many of us who boondock a lot end up buying extra batteries, a solar system and a portable generator if their RV didn't already have one. None of those things are necessary if you always plug into shore-power when you camp.

If your Grand Design has a residential refrigerator, vs. an LP fridge, you're quickly going to learn that you will need a generator, and/or solar to boondock for more than a day, or so. Extra batteries will really help too. And it doesn't really matter what kind of RV you have, those issues affect all RVs while boondocking.

Kev

nonrev321,  Also to consider... type and seasons for your boondocking. Good insulation is very important, whether you are in the heat or cold. We do a bit of winter boondocking, which would not be possible with a poorly insulated RV.  Even then, on a recent 3 week boondocking trip (with several nights in single digits) we used quite a bit of propane. We averaged about 14 lbs. (approximately 3 1/2 gallons) per day ( if I didn?t mess-up the math)! For our winter trips...we carry an auxiliary propane tank(approximately 40 gallons/ 160 lbs.),which is much better than constantly removing and refilling your RV bottles. And as mentioned, batteries ( recommend at least 4), as much solar as you have roof for, and a small generator. Even being conservative, you will go thru a lot of water. We carry a 55 gallon drum filled with water for the extended stays, and transfer to the RV when there is room in fresh tank. Whenever you leave camp, you can refill your auxiliary storage. We use a 55 gal drum, but there are many shapes/sizes of auxiliary plastic tanks available! On your residential refrigerator, you may also consider what we did with our chest freezer. We have a small stand alone inverter (in our case an 800 watt), to power our freezer. This way we don?t have to ?power-up? our big inverter, which energizes the entire RV (saving on battery consumption).

Long term boondocking away from ?un?-civilization is challenging... but worth the effort!

We've also been looking at the Grand Design for our next RV.  Looking over the spec's for your model, it looks to me that the fridge is an electric/gas model.  This is a great fridge for boondocking, our current motorhome has one and is very frugal in using the propane to keep things cold.  Ask your RV dealer about the fridge to make sure it is a electric/gas model.  If you really watch your water usage you might be able to stay out for a  week without more fresh water.  Handwashing will have to use waterless hand sanitizer, scrape all the food off dishes and use dish pans for washing, pour them out into your toilet to keep the gray tanks from filling up.  Bathing is limited to sponge baths.  Keep the toilet use to "If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down".

Good luck on your adventure.

I have been boondocking in Quartzsite Az sense November 1. I have a 2017 Grand Design 2500RL Imagine. I run 2 6 volt batteries with 2 100 watt solar panels and a 1000 watt Magnum Inverter. I do use my Honda 2000 on occasion but not much. I use lots of paper plates, bowls, and towels. I take a shower every other day or so and use about 2 1/2 gallons of water doing so. Huggies  facial baby wipes work very well in between showers. I would like at least one more solar panel. I probably use a little more electric than most as I use a Cpap machine every night. I keep my cell phone, and computers charged also. A Grand Design does a great job if you set it up right.

I have been looking hard at the Grand Design 351M and even though I seldom boondock, I do like having that ability available.  It has huge storage tanks, including 157 gallon freshwater and 78 gallon black and gray tanks.  It has generator prep and 60 gallon fuel capacity for the generator and toys, all of which will run on diesel for me.  Grand design looks to be an exceptionally well built unit.

Back
Top Bottom