EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: So Cal Fires and generators...  (Read 826 times)

Cyncity

• ---
  • Not all those who wander are lost
So Cal Fires and generators...
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
So my rig delivery is delayed due to the high winds and fires in So Cal... the campground where I'll be living has been out of power for days... they told me for my rig size 38.5 fifth wheel that I better get an 8-10000 watt generator?  I am new new new and have no idea about this but it seems that 10k watt generators are not that common?  Advice? Suggestions? help!

Thank you,

Cynthia

steveblonde

• ---
Re: So Cal Fires and generators...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
My onan 5500 works just fine with my 39ft voltage 10000 seems overkill
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »
So my rig delivery is delayed due to the high winds and fires in So Cal... the campground where I'll be living has been out of power for days... they told me for my rig size 38.5 fifth wheel that I better get an 8-10000 watt generator?  I am new new new and have no idea about this but it seems that 10k watt generators are not that common?  Advice? Suggestions? help!

Thank you,

Cynthia

Thank you for your input..

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 11:18:57 PM »
I've got a 36 foot Class A with two air conditioners, side by side refrigerator, convection oven, etc. My Onan 5,500 watt handles the load fine with everything turned on.  You don't need 10,000 watts.

I think someone is trying to take you for more money. I get really aggravated at places that take advantage of women!

If you have more questions get on here and we'll help you out.

We have a license plate frame that says:

"Not all who wander are lost"   Very true.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:21:14 PM by Arch Hoagland »
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »
Unless the campground is in the business of selling generators I don't see how they are taking advantage of you. We have 50 amps and our 5500 Onan generator has more than met our needs. If you're not planning on any extended boon docking and just need a genny for occasional use or for emergencies you could probably get a way with something smaller.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »
A 50A powered RV could use as much as 12,000 watts, but typically they can operate everything needful on much less. If factory equipped with a genset, it would be about 6000-8000 watts.

I'm guessing that CA is still hot, so a/c will be a must.   To run 2 a/c units and routine appliances, somewhere around 6000 is probably sufficient. If it has 3 a/c and you think you need all 3 running at once, add another 1500 watts.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

meternerd

• ---
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »
You might consider two smaller gennys that are able to run in parallel.  I bought two Yamaha 2000 portable generators that will run everything in my rig (Montana 40ft FW) but I only use one AC when on the generators.  They might run both, but use more gas, so I don't run the aux AC in the bedroom. 

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 11:16:03 PM »
I've got a 36 foot Class A with two air conditioners, side by side refrigerator, convection oven, etc. My Onan 5,500 watt handles the load fine with everything turned on.  You don't need 10,000 watts.

I think someone is trying to take you for more money. I get really aggravated at places that take advantage of women!

If you have more questions get on here and we'll help you out.

We have a license plate frame that says:

"Not all who wander are lost"   Very true.

Thank you so much for your input... it's really challenging trying to figure all of this out and not get taken advantage of... I will be living in it so I don't want to learn the hard way!   

One of my favorite quotes for sure!  =)

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
Unless the campground is in the business of selling generators I don't see how they are taking advantage of you. We have 50 amps and our 5500 Onan generator has more than met our needs. If you're not planning on any extended boon docking and just need a genny for occasional use or for emergencies you could probably get a way with something smaller.

Thank you.. I will be living in it and they said if I want to use 'everything' on a daily basis then I better get 8-10... they are not in the business of selling generators and said they could help me find good used ones to save from paying retail for a new one.  They were just without electricity for 5 days... scary thought.

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
A 50A powered RV could use as much as 12,000 watts, but typically they can operate everything needful on much less. If factory equipped with a genset, it would be about 6000-8000 watts.

I'm guessing that CA is still hot, so a/c will be a must.   To run 2 a/c units and routine appliances, somewhere around 6000 is probably sufficient. If it has 3 a/c and you think you need all 3 running at once, add another 1500 watts.

I do have 2 a/c units and I'm on 50 amps... and lots of stuff working in there including a residential side by side sized fridge... also I can use the elect for heat through the electric fireplace...

Thank you so much for your help.

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 11:27:05 PM »
You might consider two smaller gennys that are able to run in parallel.  I bought two Yamaha 2000 portable generators that will run everything in my rig (Montana 40ft FW) but I only use one AC when on the generators.  They might run both, but use more gas, so I don't run the aux AC in the bedroom.

Now there's something that I haven't thought about... 2 smaller generators... I'll have to check into that... thanks for the help!

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 11:29:23 PM »
My onan 5500 works just fine with my 39ft voltage 10000 seems overkill

Makes you go hmmm... I will definitely look into it further... thanks for your help..

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 06:57:20 AM »
I bekieve that if you survey newer 50A upscale motor homes you'll find the vast majority of them have 6 or 8 KW iverter generators. They may well know what they are doing. I do know my 8KW has worked well for five years of fulltiming.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 07:12:25 AM »
You will want to think about where you are going to put the generator.  Will it be a semi-permanent mount on the ground or will you try to mount it in the front compartment (check measurements)?  It will take at least two people to lift a 3000 watt generator and more to lift a bigger one.  I have two Honda 2000 watt generators that can hook parallel to give 4000w and each weighs 47 lbs.
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »

We have a 28ft trailer with 2 a/c units.  We had trouble at elevation using the 2 Yamahas we have.  Just something to consider if you are not staying in one place...
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »
don't forget to buy a big gas can to refill it...

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 12:10:44 AM »
I bekieve that if you survey newer 50A upscale motor homes you'll find the vast majority of them have 6 or 8 KW iverter generators. They may well know what they are doing. I do know my 8KW has worked well for five years of fulltiming.

Ernie

Thank you... I think you're correct.

Cynthia

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
We have a 28ft trailer with 2 a/c units.  We had trouble at elevation using the 2 Yamahas we have.  Just something to consider if you are not staying in one place...

I'm up 4800 ft... never thought about the elevation being something to consider... thank you.

Cynthia

Cyncity

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »
You will want to think about where you are going to put the generator.  Will it be a semi-permanent mount on the ground or will you try to mount it in the front compartment (check measurements)?  It will take at least two people to lift a 3000 watt generator and more to lift a bigger one.  I have two Honda 2000 watt generators that can hook parallel to give 4000w and each weighs 47 lbs.

Ugh.. of course I didnt think about that...  :-\ 

Thank you,

Cynthia

Hosted by Over The Network