Diesel pick up pulling a fifth wheel to California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cosmo911

I'm pulling a fifth wheel rv to California in January. I was told by a friend that California has restrictions on emissions and won't allow my 99 Ford F-250 with 7.3 Powerstroke to pull it. Can anyone give me an answer or experience with this issue.  I'm traveling from Wisconsin and have reservations made.

Hogwash. You can drive any vehicle that is legal into and around California. If you wer3e to move to CA and try to title the truck there, you would become subject to CA smog rules and probably require annual inspections, but if you are just visiting there are no worries.

Exactly what Gary said, especially the hogwash part.
However, some fresh produce is not allowed into California. Citrus is a biggie. Do a little research on agricultural product restrictions coming into California.

Welcome to this forum. This should be the first place to come to when you have any questions at all no matter how small they may seem to you.

I have pulled a fifth wheel many miles in California with a 2002 F250 and a 7.3 liter.  There is a lot to see. Enjoy your trip and remember that diesel prices are higher there than any other state.

Don't believe everything you hear about California ...( a lot,.. but not everything ). 

Don't bring any firewood, fruits or veggies into the border check station,  You should also top off your fuel tank before you cross into the Peoples Republic of California.

We thank you for your tourist dollars.... (please don't feed the street animals).  ;)

Of course we'll let you into California, we have millions of Volkswagens that are proven to not meet our emission standards. They don't remove them so I think you are safe!

I assume you're not a commercial hauler?  CA is prohibiting commercial use of pre-emission control big rig diesels, but if you're not commercial the only issue you'll have towing a trailer into California in January will be possible restrictions over snowbound mountain passes.

If chain controls are in effect, you will be stopped unless you have chains for both the truck and at least one trailer axle.  During a severe storm the roads may close entirely or be restricted to single vehicles until conditions improve.

Usually this is only an issue on the northern passes like I-5, I-80 and US 50.  The southern routes like CA 58 over the Techahapi Mtns or the mountain passes north of LA ( I-15 over Cajon Pass or I-5 over the Grapevine) may occasionally have chain requirements but they seldom last longer than a day or two.

If you're moving to California, your F-250 will be fine as long as the engine hasn't been modified by removing or altering any of the factory supplied smog equipment.  This includes tuner chips that don't have CARB approval.  CA's smog laws take into account whether vehicles are manufactured to meet the CA or 49 state standards in effect when they were made and the allowed emission levels vary accordingly.

If your vehicle is in stock condition with intact factory supplied emissions equipment, you should have no trouble passing the required smog test to register the vehicle in CA.  For diesels the test consists of  a visual inspection of the emissions equipment and a test for excessive smoke.

I don't have any insight on the emissions piece, but I can tell you that the speed limit on highways in CA is 55 MPH when towing.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/speed_limits+

The towing speed limit is legally 55 mph. .... but it's not enforced that way.  You will get passed all day long by semi's doing 65-70.

Even gasoline tankers go 65.

The towing speed limit is legally 55 mph. .... but it's not enforced that way.  You will get passed all day long by semi's doing 65-70.

It's a gamble, though. I've seen some reports of RVers being stopped for exceeding the 55 mph towing limits, so it does happen. Even when other rigs may be passing you! Could be a simple catching the eye of a LEO who is bored or maybe having a bad day and being a bit more strict than otherwise.

Yup...trucks and cars towing trailers=55.  I lived there for 19 years and I don't recall ever seeing a trailer pulled over, but....it's probably not worth a ticket to go much past 60.  Plus, think of the fuel you'll save going 55.  Relax and enjoy the scenery..... :) Smog laws are N/A unless you are registering the vehicle.  As far as the agricultural inspection stations, they'll ask if you have firewood, but I never heard of anyone being searched....just my experience, though.  If you do get caught lying, they may force you to live in San Francisco for a month to REALLY punish you!

They try to enforce the speed limits on commercial trucks,..... but only slightly.

I was once ticketed for driving 62 mph in the #2 lane in a 3 axle commercial truck.  (I never saw the CHP or I would had slowed down and got over) I was driving in and around several other large RVs and right behind a motorhome towing a car....

When I asked the officer why only me ?...    He said.."you should know better".    (but we all know..they will let out of state RV's slide)

Cost me $400.

I seem to remember that CA also has a rule/law of no trailers in the left lane in addition to the 55 MPH limit.  True?  Been a few years since I was there.  8)

Since half the state is burning and allowing that smoke to pollute the rest of the country, tell them to take care of the big problems first.

Hog3loves said:
I seem to remember that CA also has a rule/law of no trailers in the left lane in addition to the 55 MPH limit.  True?  Been a few years since I was there.  8)
If there are 3 lanes or less and towing with trailer it is right lane only except to pass; if there are 4 or more lanes you can run in the right 2 lanes only when towing.

And yet it is not uncommon to see a Class A towing a car.... in the HOV lane.  :eek:

Back
Top Bottom