BrakeMaster problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

We had a Roadmaster BrakeMaster system installed on our motorhome 18 months ago.  The system was removed and installed on our new motorhome in May.  Since the initial installation we have had five problems.  Initially the system would turn on repeatedly, maybe 3 or 4 times an hour.  After it was installed on our new motorhome, it wouldn't shut off.  That happened three times.  We had to pull the fuse twice to stop the air compressor.  Once the DW had to drive the toad 150 miles to a service facility.  The last time, I pulled the Jeep about 200 miles very carefully without using the braking system.  Not happy doing that.  Hugely disappointed in the system that cost about $1,500.  The last fix involved replacing the Pressure Switch.  That was Friday.  Sunday I thought it was going to fail again.  It simply would not shut off.  By the time I was ready to crawl under the motorhome and pull the fuse, it stopped.  The pressure switch is manufactured by Nason.  The dealer took an identical switch from another BrakeMaster product and installed it on our system Friday.  Two days later it sounds like it's going to fail again.  Now what? 

Anyone with a similar system have any thoughts? 

Haven't heard of that problem before, but most Brakemasters don't have compressors - they are used primarily in coaches with air brake systems. 

One obvious reason for not shutting off would be a air leak somewhere, either in the unit itself or the plumbing in coach or toad. I'm guessing you are having RV dealers work on it, and they rarely have people with great diagnostic skills or more than rudimentary plumbing experience.

Have you contacted Roadmaster to see if they have any ideas? Or a suggestion about a shop that may have more in-depth knowledge of the system?  http://www.roadmasterinc.com/contact.html

I had the exact Brakemaster you have (non air brake system so required a compressor). Aside from a poor pedal switch install by Camping World I had no troubles.

I second Gary's comments - if the compressor keeps running there's either a leak or the pressure switch is faulty. Since the pressure switch has already been replaced it would seem there must be a leak.

If you were so inclined you could disconnect the air line from the compressor and install a tee along with a pressure gauge (assuming there isn't already a gauge). In this way you could watch the pressure. It should pressurize and shutoff, then sit for a very long time before bleeding down. (I don't know what an acceptable bleeddown rate would be but I would have to imagine many, many hours to perhaps days.) If it bleeds down there's a leak, if it pressurizes but never shuts off I'd guess it's the pressure switch.

I was satisfied enough with my Brakemaster that I installed it on my current toad, however this one doesn't have the compressor as I have airbrakes.

Is this a new Roadmaster braking system?

Some years ago I purchased an earlier generation Roadmaster toad braking system. This was a new coach towing a new Suburban on our maiden voyage. It exhibited similar symptoms (repeatedly applying the brakes when it wasn't supposed to). The numerous unnecessary applications of the brakes and continual running of the compressor ran the Suburban battery down.

I'd stop, run the coach generator and re-charge the Suburban battery for a few hours, only to have it repeat. As battery voltage fell, the Roadmaster would increase the frequency of braking, causing the compressor to run continuously, further draining the battery, which in turn caused the braking frequency to increase, further draining the battery, etc. I ran for an untold number of miles with the Suburban engine running in an attempt to keep the battery charged.

I eventually disconnected the Roadmaster unit and ran without it until I could get somewhere to replace it with a different system from a different manufacturer. Returned the Roadmaster unit to Camping World for a refund.

A few years later, I was talking with a Roadmaster tech and, when I mentioned the experience with the braking system, he apologized and told me a lot of folks had the same problems. Meanwhile, they came out with a new model that supposedly took care of the issues.

My 74 year old bones do not like crawling under the motorhome.  None-the-less, I managed to get under it and checked for leaks.  Didn't find any.  The man who identified the failed pressure switch, is a retired engineer who does a lot of work at the Escapee park where we were.  At the time, he suggested we also replace the relay which is located in the same area.  I forgot to mention that to the dealer who replaced the pressure switch and am now wondering if that could be part of the problem. 

Four months ago, when it wouldn't shut off, we had it fixed by a shop that does several installs a week.  So they are very familiar with the system.  They found a fitting on the proportional valve was loose.  Tightened it and problem solved.  As an aside, the tech stated the air compressor looked very small.  Didn't think to ask him if that could be part of the problem.  But when I look at the BrakeMaster manuals, it looks like the same size. 

I've talked to Roadmaster but only with respect to obtaining a replacement switch.  Oddly, the number on the part they have differs from the one on our coach.  Wondering if they've had other issues with the switch manufacturer.  Sent an email to Roadmaster yesterday regarding the switch.  I'll call today if I don't get a response. 

Scott, good idea on the pressure regulator.  It's above my skill set but I can have the dealer put one on.  What is bleed_down?  If it's the ability to hold air, I'd say it's not doing well.  But then, I'm just guessing. 

Tom, haven't had that issue.  Hopefully the idiot light installed in the dash will let me know when the brakes are activated by the system and not my foot.  ;)  It definitely does not drain the battery on the Jeep.  At least not that I'm aware of. 

Some years ago I purchased an earlier generation Roadmaster toad braking system.

Tom,
I believe you are taking about a brake system that sits in the car and has a compressor driven actuator, something like the current Even Brake system. That's a different animal than the Brakemaster system.  Gary is talking about a motorhome mounted system normally used with diesel pusher air brakes and connects to the toad via an airline.  It can be adapted to a hydraulic brake coach with the addition of an air compressor and air lines on the coach side. The coach brake acts as a modulator on the compressor air output but the toad side functions the same as with a DP air system.

[quote author=Gary RV_Wizard]I believe you are taking about a brake system that sits in the car and has a compressor driven actuator, something like the current Even Brake system.[/quote]

Yes, I was talking about the predecessor to the Even Brake.

Gary is talking about a motorhome mounted system normally used with diesel pusher air brakes and connects to the toad via an airline.

Looks like I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

If your compressor runs you have either a leak or a bad pressure switch. Your proportioning valve stops air at the valve, so the leak would have to be between the valve and the compressor. I don't know if the pressure switch is available as a repair part; you may have to replace the compressor/tank unit, around $400.

I need to troubleshoot my proportioning valve; if the year-old valve has failed I'm a mind to chuck the entire kludge in the creek and install something else.

Just an update.  Problem solved.  The compressor failed. Dealer installed new compressor at his cost.  I've used this dealer for 8 years and while he is expensive, he stands by his work.  Hopefully no more problems with the braking system.   

Gary who is this dealer? I have only one or two "last resorts" for someone to fix the thing. I've talked with a few "installing dealers" who aren't interested in troubleshooting it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom