EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Upgrading to LED in S&B  (Read 1070 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Upgrading to LED in S&B
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:38:56 PM »
We have/had a bunch of recessed halogen ceiling lights in our S&B house. I thought I'd start replacing them with LED bulbs. What a difference! Much brighter lights using a fraction of the power. I emptied Lowe's shelf of LED bulbs, and need to visit another of their stores.

Time to think of replacing lights in the coach with LED.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
Re: Upgrading to LED in S&B
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
We have/had a bunch of recessed halogen ceiling lights in our S&B house. I thought I'd start replacing them with LED bulbs. What a difference! Much brighter lights using a fraction of the power. I emptied Lowe's shelf of LED bulbs, and need to visit another of their stores.

Time to think of replacing lights in the coach with LED.

Tom,
Has the price on them starting to drop yet? A couple of years ago, it would have cost a small fortune to do an entire house.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Massmerch

• ---
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:36:42 PM »
We bought all our LED lighting for the house at Costco.  Much cheaper than regular retailers, and you can buy a hot dog and soda on the way out.  8)
Randy
2005 Itasca Horizon 40 KD
2016 Jeep Unlimited
Hesperia, Ca.

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:03:50 PM »
We bought ours at Sams Club and began replacing our old lamps with the LED's as the incandescent bulbs died, so we didn't need to buy them all at once.  After doing that for several years, we've finally replaced almost everything.  Prior to using the LED's I replaced several bulbs per month.  Now we very rarely replace a bulb.  I'm sure that sooner or later we'll start replacing them.

Our TT has LED's and I can tell a huge difference in the rate of battery discharge when boondocking over our previous TT, and they're much brighter.  We only turn on half of the fixtures most of the time and still have adequate light.
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

Wi1dBill

• ---
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »
Similar to the twisted floresent lights several years ago.    Seems it is just a way to get you the open your wallet for "The Green World"   I have the old incandesce 100 watt bulbs that are twenty-five years old, still lighting and burning.   My electric bill has not changed enough over the the years to justified changing them. 
 The same way in an RV, the only reason to change is to make the battery last longer.

Wi1dBi11 

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:19:54 AM »
Quote from: Rene
Has the price on them starting to drop yet?

Rene, they cost approx $12 for two "45W" Halogen replacements at Lowes. I must admit that I had sticker shock when I bought 26. Need to buy more of the same for the S&B, and need to buy some of the larger ones.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:21:24 AM »
Quote from: Massmerch
We bought all our LED lighting for the house at Costco.

Thanks. I'll check them out next time I'm in Costco.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 07:14:00 AM »
I had a young lady I was "Dating" (sort of) in Georgia when I was stuck there.. and I also did some work on her house,  All LED lights.. THey worked great.. We replaced a porch light with a ceiling fan and light. The LED's and the light sensor I installed worked way way better than the original sensor and lights. Lasted longer too. Put LED's in the stairwell, and in a chandler indoors.  Went as LED as possible.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:31:50 AM »
I have replaced all of the regular and fluorescent lights in the house except in the appliances. A couple of years ago Lowe's had a black Friday sale of $0.87. I bought at least 50. They did not have the bulbs this year.

I have replaced all of the bulbs in the motorhome except appliances and a couple near the floor.
Judy & Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs!      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »
     Just bought ten (10) 48” led light kits at Costco. Six (6) for our pole barn and four (4) to replace the fluorescent lights in the unfinished basement in our house (the last lights in the house to be converted). Just three (3) more 12” fluorescent fixtures in the 5er (these rarely ever get used)to change out, and just a few incandescent bulbs left in the little class c. Along with all of the plusses in the rv’s (longevity, save the batteries, and very bright), they are instant on in cool/cold weather. Sometimes we would go into the RV during the winter to work on something or prep for a trip and had to use a flashlight, because the fluorescents would “never” get bright enough to see with. We’ve purchased from different suppliers and have had pretty good success. Though, in the early years...they were quite expensive and only came in lower lumen output. Now, pick your lumen, pick your color on the Kelvin scale...what’s not to like. Will start on all the outside equipment and toys next!
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 08:07:35 AM »
I replaced every bulb in the MH when I bought it ($400). Five years later we've had two fixtures fail, but we have yet to replace an LED. S anb B is unused for that period, that is we full time.

Ernie
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:09:54 AM by Ernie n Tara »
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 08:58:19 AM »
As they fail or near end of life, I've been replacing both incandescents and fluorescents with Leds. Prices have come way down in the last couple years, but they still aren't cheap.  Don't expect to replace any in the future, though. At least not in my remaining lifespan!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
Our S&B home is fairly big (4350 square feet) and we've been getting hammered by San Diego Gas & Electric's rates for a few years. During the Winter and Spring, our rate is .42 cents per KWH, and in the Summer and Fall, it's .51 cents per KWH. (We just got notified last week that the rates are going up again) Our electrical bills in the winter average a little over $400 per month, and $1000 per month in the summer.

About two years ago, we decided to replace all the interior bulbs, and exterior flood lights with LEDs, in an attempt to reduce our electrical bills. I had noticed a substantial difference in the RV's power consumption by switching to LEDs, so I assumed we'd see a similar reduction at the house. I never actually measured the "before and after" difference in power consumption, and logic tells me that there is a difference, but we've noticed virtually no difference in our monthly bills.

We really like the brightness and color temps of the LEDs compared to the fluorescent and incandescent bulbs, and I love the fact that I haven't had to replace any of the LEDs, but it was expensive to make the swap. As I type this, 14 KW of solar is being installed on the roof, and that will definitely bring our monthly bills down.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »
I, too, am converting...some as they fail and others proactively. For example, I've rid my house of all tube-type florescent lights with the exception of one 18" bulb over the kitchen sink (mainly because I have not had to replace it in the 23 years we've lived in the house!). Replacing the 15 4' florescent fixtures in my garage and basement within a short time frame did hurt the wallet but the result is well worth it IMHO. Time will tell.

I admit to also buying into the CFL hype years ago but I lost my taste for them after a few years and would actually replace them with incandescent bulbs as they failed.

My favorite LED project was the addition of two high-intensity work lights on my lawn tractor, though, for snow blowing duty. I know, the full timers say "what is snow blowing?"  ;D
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

blw2

• ---
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »
Our S&B home is fairly big (4350 square feet) and we've been getting hammered by San Diego Gas & Electric's rates for a few years. During the Winter and Spring, our rate is .42 cents per KWH, and in the Summer and Fall, it's .51 cents per KWH. (We just got notified last week that the rates are going up again) Our electrical bills in the winter average a little over $400 per month, and $1000 per month in the summer.

About two years ago, we decided to replace all the interior bulbs, and exterior flood lights with LEDs, in an attempt to reduce our electrical bills. I had noticed a substantial difference in the RV's power consumption by switching to LEDs, so I assumed we'd see a similar reduction at the house. I never actually measured the "before and after" difference in power consumption, and logic tells me that there is a difference, but we've noticed virtually no difference in our monthly bills.

We really like the brightness and color temps of the LEDs compared to the fluorescent and incandescent bulbs, and I love the fact that I haven't had to replace any of the LEDs, but it was expensive to make the swap. As I type this, 14 KW of solar is being installed on the roof, and that will definitely bring our monthly bills down.

Kev

I've converted nearly all of mine to LED's as well.  Bought most at Ikea.  Maybe not the best bulbs, but so far so good for me and a good price.  I started doing them as they burned out, especially the ones in teh high ceilings.... then when I was about half way through I decided to just buy enough to do the rest.  I think I still have just a few in chandeliers or ceiling fans, that have funny bases on them.  Otherwise I'm all LED now.

Kev, if you had a lot of fluorescent bulbs like I did, that might be why you don't see a huge difference.  The wattage of comparable LED and fluorescent are close....like within maybe 1-3 watts for a typical bulb if I remember correctly.  Mine is similar in size to yours and had a lot of recessed can lights with flourescent bulbs.  That was a lot of bulbs!
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »
 Tom,,Another plus for changing those halogens is the fire hazard that recessed halogens present, they get extremely hot.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »
Good point Dan. I've often been concerned about the fire hazard.

We also have a smaller number of surface halogens in the S&B (in cabinets and alcoves). I need to find replacement fittings for those.

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 08:15:51 PM »
Are LED florescent replacements plug and play or do they require rewiring?
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 08:34:12 PM »

Are LED florescent replacements plug and play or do they require rewiring?

The 4' fixtures I replaced were complete units. I chose fixtures with a cord and plug but they also come for hard wiring. You can also get LED tubes of various lengths that can be used in a florescent fixture.
Joe & Kim

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 08:47:19 PM »
Led replacements for fluorescents come in two flavors. One is a direct replacement and runs off of the ballast. The other requires you to remove the ballast and wire 120 volts to one end.

I chose the latter as I didn’t want to leave the ballast as an additional failure point.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »
I replaced most of ours with LEDs when we got solar panels.  The flood lights were the most expensive.  I put regular LED bulbs in the recessed cans.  I used to go through about 1 flood a month but so far I haven't had to replace a single LED.

Fry's occasionally sells a box of 10 'Swiss Made' bulbs for around 10 bucks but you have  to sign up for their daily newsletter to know when.  Other than that Costco has probably the best quality & prices.  Wish they sold automotive LEDs!
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »
   Also, from a energy saving point... leaving the ballast is counter-productive. As I understand it....The ballast was/is the highest user of energy in the fluorescent system.
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

link30240

• ---
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 08:22:59 AM »
My experience with LEDs in my house is the light is great but the fail way short of the life expectancy on the box. 1-2 years max is what im getting out of several different brands with claimed 10year life expectancy.

My suggestion would be to keep the boxes and receipts so you can return/exchange when they fail.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
My suggestion would be to keep the boxes and receipts so you can return/exchange when they fail.

I agree. I did have one fail this summer (a single incandescent-shaped bulb) and Lowe's exchanged it with my receipt, no problem.
Joe & Kim

blw2

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »
I think LED's still have a rather high infant mortality failure rate, so even though the life span should be high.... a high number will fail abnormally soon.  Also, my "gut feel" tells me that it's often the driver that fails and not necessarily the LED

The places I've had the most trouble are the ones hanging inverted..... with the socket above bulb hanging down.  The Edison based led bulbs have the driver in the base, between the bulb and the threaded connector.  My theory is it's something to do with heat dissipation.  These type of bulbs are likely intended for upright applications such as a normal old fashioned table lamp.  Flipping them over in hanging pendant lights or ceiling can lights changes things.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 07:47:36 AM »
So far I have installed over 40 LED's (two MH's) and I have yet to have one fail, infant or otherwise, in a total of about nine years full time.

Ernie

Note: All were regulated bought from the place that used to advertise above.
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 03:07:28 AM »
To the post above thinking this is another way to get people to spend money, you really need to look at the big picture and get out of the 60's. CFL and now LEDs draw 75% less energy than tungsten lamps. It's taken us 30+ years to get here and in the meantime there are hundreds of millions of PC's, cellphone chargers, server farms, and more electronics than any of us can name in the new world that have easily sucked up the overhead that these lighting technologies have created. It's no secret that the introduction of these LED technology's are what's keeping 50+ YO generating plants able to supply enough power without being completely rebuilt.

Anyway, every light in the house is LED, mostly 100W LEDs and most are on automated dimmers that are never close to full bright, but with one button on the cellphone the entire house comes on full bright. What's great is I can run any light in the house from 10-100% bright and the color temp never moves. That's worth every penny by itself.

Also converted everything coach once they figured out the correct color temp dyes to exactly match incandesents. I love LED projects

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 03:16:53 AM »
And FYI for those doing this..  I swapped out 5 75w recessed lamps in the family room and noticed over the next few days that the bedroom fan remote wouldn't work, as well as the garage remote being flakey. The neighbor had also complained his garage remote also didn't work at the same time.

I have the test equipment to chase this stuff down and found that the name brand CREE LED replacements were generating so much trash (just like with some of the RV LEDs) that they were jamming everything for darn near 150' in all directions. It took several conversations with CREE engineering and a threat to call the FCC to get their attention to fix the problem. So if anyone starts having issues with garage remotes, fan remotes, and the like, look at your LED lights

AZgl1800

• ---
Re: Upgrading to LED
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »

I admit to also buying into the CFL hype years ago but I lost my taste for them after a few years and would actually replace them with incandescent bulbs as they failed.

CFL bulbs are a money waster, their only purpose was to suck the $$$$ out of our wallets.
They only last about 3 or 4 months if you faithfully turn them on/off every time you go through the door.

In my garage, they have been burning for about 3 years, as they are never turned off.
Those are the only two that have not been replaced with LEDs.... even my patio and driveway spotlights are now LED.

The improvement in Daylight brightness has to be seen to be believed, and the new sensors are far better than those of yesteryear.

Every bulb in our house is now LED, my light bills dropped a very noticeable percentage.... we are retired, 3 of us here and up all hours of the night..... so lights are burning somewhere here, every hour of the day.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 02:05:54 PM »
Converted every light in our S&B with LED including all the 48"  fluorescents.

Discovered that the Dollar store now carries them for, guess what, a $1. I've experimented with the $1 ones and they work fine. I'm now on a project at our Elks lodge and will replace all the bulbs with the Dollar store variety.  Nobody ever turns the lights out there!!!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System