Winnebago Minnie 300 1995 - Any Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajc2

I am new and hope most of my problems with my Minnie are fixable, however i have zero experience upon which to draw.  Here is the list:

Some outlets (bath, bedroom and one in kitchen)  do not work, reset tripped circuit tired the reset, didn't work (light work)
Propane tank rusty, still haven't tried to fill it
Generator turns over but won't run
Still haven't checked house battery, but water is getting in the bottom of the compartment

No leaks and minor mechanical stuff with the Ford part.

ANY input is appreciated.

Welcome! The electrical problem could be a bad GFCI assuming those outlets are of course protected by that GFCI outlet. I've had several of those go bad around the house so I would just replace all of those GFCI outlets as a matter of course.

I would have a propane dealer examine your propane tank. The rust could be surface only and the tank only needs wire brushing, rust treatment and then painting. You would have to pull it to do those things so I would just replace it.

Generator - propane or gas? There are a bunch of generator problem threads on the forum so I suggest you use the search feature.

You should assume all batteries (house and chassis) need to be replaced since you don't know if they were abused. Buy a good three-stage charger to replace yours which is probably a low-end 'dumb' charger. Again - there's a ton of battery threads here so use search.

Also check out the Winnebago and Chassis Resources thread near the top of this board - there's a bunch of good stuff there.

The problem with the outlets is very likely a GFCI tripped. Each GFCI outlet will control up to 6 non- GFCI outlets. It can be identified by the test switch on the outlet and is likely to be found in the bathroom.

Rusty Tank: Not usually a problem, Clean it up with a wire brush, sandpaper and repaint with Rustoleum or similar product.

For gasoline powered Generator: Very likely a dirty carburetor.  The gasoline supply today is very bad for that. You can try and clean it out using a good carb cleaner fluid or simply replace it. You should also check if you are getting gas at the carb, if not check the fuel pump and the rubber part of the fuel line coming from the RV gas tank. They develop pin holes admitting air and screw up the gas flow to the pump. NOTE that the generator is very often wired to the house battery for starting purposes. Dead house battery= no start!!

Battery compartment: From where??

Some outlets (bath, bedroom and one in kitchen)  do not work, reset tripped circuit tired the reset, didn't work (light work)

If what you tried to reset is the Reset button on a GFCI outlet, it will not reset if there is no power to the outlet. That would imply a tripped circuit breaker or possibly a broken wire.  If what you reset was the breaker, I'll have further questions before advising.

Otherwise, I concur with Alfa38's advice.

If you are comfortable working around electricity (and capable) do the following:

Download, review and print your AC wiring diagram (links in the previously mentioned resources thread at the top)
Check your main AC breaker panel to make sure you don't have a tripped breaker there
Pull the GFCI outlet and check for 120V on the input side of the rear of the outlet

One other possibility is those outlets are on the inverter output but I doubt you have that in a Minnie - that's why you need to look at your AC wiring diagram.

If you aren't the DIY type and haven't successfully worked with live AC  ;), suggest you call a mobile RV tech.

Also, regarding the generator, make sure your gas tank is 1/3 or more filled with gas.  They design it so that the generator stops getting fuel at about 1/4 of a tank.  That it can't use it all up and you have some left to drive to a gas station. 

If the generator hasn't been run for 3-4 months or more, then your carb is probably all gunked up and the rubber inside is shot.  The ethanol gasoline goes bad in 1-2 months.   

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom