Winnebago vendor fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

My 2004 Meridian motorhome was involved in a traffic accident requiring replacement of the front cap. Cap was ordered from WinnebagoParts. On Dec 8, the repair shop received an email stating that "Winnebago's vendor of these fiberglass parts burnt to the ground last night."
And, they are cancelling the order.

Has anyone heard? I talked to Winnebago Owner Relations and was told they were unaware.

Don't know anything about a fire, but just fyi 'WinnebagoParts.com' is not connected to Winnebago in any way--it's actually Mobility RV in Hanlontown, IA.  They're a good source of parts, just not part of Winnebago itself.

Things got bad and then things got worse!  You're just not having any luck at all other than bad luck.

Let us know how this all works out for you...good I hope.

[quote author=NY_Dutch]You might find what you need at one of the RV salvage yards listed in the forum library.[/quote]

Not in our Library. Click on the Resources link above and scroll down the menu to RV parts and salvage.

Because the mold was destroyed in the vendor's fire, we were left with either sourcing a salvaged front cap or attempting a repair of the installed cap. We chose the latter. I am confident in the tech's capabilities. A visit to the shop this morning showed progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 102
My understanding is that Winnebago maintains production molds only, sells older molds to the vendor. Can't vouch for that, though. The repair shop ordered the front cap from WinnebagoParts (Mobility RV) and they later notified the repair shop that the order was cancelled because of the fire.

I am confident that the repair shop can return my Meridian to "like new" condition. I've made many "upgrades" and modifications, and want to keep it for a long time.

Winnebago used to brag that they made all plastic parts at their factory.  Did this not include the fiberglass end caps?

Bill

My late mother-in-law from Oklahoma used to say,"If you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all."

Hope you find another source or a salvage part.

I think so...... Picked the motorhome up at the repair shop on October 10th after a complete overhaul of the tranny ($$$$$) and, on the way home was hit by a drunk driver! So, in the shop it went, to wait for insurance hassle, parts ordering and then the vendor fire occurred. As they say if not for bad luck, wouldn't have any!

But, repair of the damaged cap is well on the way, I'm confident that the shop will make it as good as new! Don't have a promised date, but I don't want to rush them to finish.

That brings up an interesting question.  If the sole producer of end caps is unable to provide such item and you have major damage requiring replacement of an entire end cap, will the insurance carrier declare it a total loss?

John Canfield said:
Good grief Red. 30,000 pound RV vs 3,000 pound car won't be a good outcome for the little guy.

The driver made a hasty lane change (didn't see the big bus?!?) and hit the left front corner of my motorhome, careened diagonally across the intersection, hit the rear end of a parked car, ramming it into a diner. His insurance told me that his coverage was not enough to pay for a motorhome, two vehicles plus property damage. So, I was forced to file against MY collision coverage.  :mad:

As for the front cap, my repair shop told me that Winnebago Ind was one of few manufacturers that maintain parts for RV's after 10 years. They also told me that insurance companies generally total an RV if repair costs exceed 60% of replacement cost?

Interesting RedT.  I am no insurance expert but if the guy ran out of insurance paying for all the other damages, two things come to mind:  Since you were the first hit, you should be the first to be paid (what did your insurance say about using collision to cover it).  Also, if the guy was truly used up on his insurance, would your uninsured motorist coverage apply?  Just idle thoughts but it is a very unusual situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom