Winnebago vendor fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill N said:
...Also, if the guy was truly used up on his insurance, would your uninsured motorist coverage apply? ...
I found out the hard way what uninsured motorist covers and more importantly what it doesn't cover (this was State Farm in Florida.)

I was stopped for a traffic light and got rear-ended, the guy had no insurance. I thought, no problem - I have uninsured motorist coverage. Wrong. Uninsured motorist coverage is NOT for collision repairs but only medial expenses  :mad:. So I was left holding the bag for my $500 collision deductible. At renewal and thereafter I declined that coverage, I have medical insurance and certainly didn't need that kind of specialized extra coverage.

Again, this was State Farm in Florida, it might be a completely different situation with other companies and/or different states. So the moral of the story is don't assume.

I had the opposite experience with Progressive when my Nissan Sentra was rear ended at a stoplight in Elkhart, IN 10 years ago.

The person who hit me gave false information to the police and was in fact was uninsured at the time of the accident. Progressive discovered the fraud while pursuing my claim against her and paid for the damage to my car from my Uninsured Motorist coverage with no deductible.

The car was totalled because the crumple zone in the trunk compressed about half an inch and the repairs exceeded the replacement cost.  Progressive gave me the car's replacement price,  I bought the car back from them for it's salvage value (a couple hundred dollars) and they sent me a check for the difference.

I bent the vertical edge of the trunk lid slightly so it would open and close properly (the only visible damage) and continued driving that car for another 8 years.

Lou, did you have to carry a salvage title for those 8 years?

John, thanks for that info on uninsured motorists.  I will call USAA and see what they say about mine.

Bill

Yes, it had a salvage title after the accident.  It didn't bother me though, Progressive paid what the car was worth at the time of the accident so the reduction in the car's resale value didn't matter.  In essence, I had a free car to use during those 8 years except for normal operating costs.  It also towed nicely behind my motorhome.

I eventually gave the car to my nephew, he sent it to the junkyard within a couple of months.  You can't redline an old engine at full throttle on a regular basis without consequences.

Heard from my Winnebago contact. For older motorhomes, Winnebago does not keep the molds and it is up to a third party to produce replacements. And there was a fire at the cap manufacturer that destroyed the facility and "some" molds.

I'm going to make a guess the molds we are discussing are the original ones Winnie used to produce the caps when that particular model was still rolling down the line at Big Bertha but they leave it up to a third party to make replacements for older units.

Well, the new doors are hung and adjusted, the fiberglass cap repair is coming along nicely, should be finished by end of week. As for insurance, yes I had uninsured, underinsured, collision and comprehensive coverage. My company told me they would "go after" his insurance to recover my deductible collision, plus their costs.

Attachments

• IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 57
John Canfield said:
I found out the hard way what uninsured motorist covers and more importantly what it doesn't cover (this was State Farm in Florida.)

I was stopped for a traffic light and got rear-ended, the guy had no insurance. I thought, no problem - I have uninsured motorist coverage. Wrong. Uninsured motorist coverage is NOT for collision repairs but only medial expenses  :mad:. So I was left holding the bag for my $500 collision deductible. At renewal and thereafter I declined that coverage, I have medical insurance and certainly didn't need that kind of specialized extra coverage.

Again, this was State Farm in Florida, it might be a completely different situation with other companies and/or different states. So the moral of the story is don't assume.

That's the way Illinois is too. Uninsured  motorist only covers the medical side. So IF you only have liability and comp, and a person hits you with no insurance, you're just out. 

Charlie 5320 said:
That's the way Illinois is too. Uninsured  motorist only covers the medical side. So IF you only have liability and comp, and a person hits you with no insurance, you're just out.

Just had this conversation with my insurance agent and as I understand it that is the way PA is as well.  He said most people assume the uninsured motorist coverage covers everything - nope!

RedT - was it the guys first dui?  The law doesn?t joke around with dui?s!!  Especially with that much damage!

KandT said:
Just had this conversation with my insurance agent and as I understand it that is the way PA is as well.  He said most people assume the uninsured motorist coverage covers everything - nope!

Off topic, i guess, but here is another data point re uninsured motorist coverage:  I recently got a notice from State Farm (Colorado) stating that (on audit) they noted I didn't have uninsured motorist coverage on my MH and if that is the way I wanted it, I needed to sign a waiver.  Went in to the agent's office and she said "Yup! Sign this waiver.  You have that coverage on your primary auto and that means you are fully covered on both the MH and the Toad.  No add'l coverage needed."  Not a lot of $ involved, but I always wonder why State Farm's computers don't talk to  one another  :mad:    ....... or maybe the programmers are just bumping up the bottom line  ;)

"Yup! Sign this waiver.  You have that coverage on your primary auto and that means you are fully covered on both the MH and the Toad.  No add'l coverage needed."

Then why do you have to sign a waiver??? :eek:

Didn't ask.....but I'd wager it's some State Ins Bd regulation or something.  More "Big Brother" stuff, I reckon. I just know that my passengers are covered (medically) in the event of a accident caused by an uninsured motorist and I don't have to pay and pay (since I just drive one vehicle at a time) ...... so it works for me. :^)

Update on Itasca Meridian repair after traffic accident on October 10. 2017. After 85 days, numerous starts and restarts after insurance hassle, front cap vendor fire, fiberglass repair, etc., I'm told that MH has been painted and 3M mask will be installed tomorrow. Don't know if this is typical for this type of repair (have never had an accident before) but I do know it is a frustrating experience.

Seems like an RV repair shop with plenty of 50-amp electrical outlets would be cognizant enough to plug in to keep the batteries maintained, but....

Attachments

• Jan2a_18a.jpg
    Jan2a_18a.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Jan2b_18a.jpg
    Jan2b_18a.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member