Wheel polish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

I need to spiff up my aluminum wheels.  I am using Mothers Aluminum and Wheel polish.  They are  amp ice and shined, but there are what look to be water spots still there.  Any good hints on getting these spots off?

Unfortunately, it might be the clear coat itself they spray over the aluminum wheel. If you thought it was hard water spots, try a little vinegar and rag. But I'm guessing it's the clear coat.  I've heard of others, that sand with like 1000 grit sandpaper and respray the clearcoat.

Obviously cant polish clear coated or DuraBrite aluminum wheels. I use Mothers polish and Mothers power ball. ( large and small) Remove polish with corn starch on power ball or hand rubbing. Keep at it and it will polish out. I start with 1500 grit sand paper to work out rock chips on fuel tanks or radiator shells, but once you go down that road you?re opening yourself up for mucho polishing.

spencerpj said:
Unfortunately, it might be the clear coat itself they spray over the aluminum wheel. If you thought it was hard water spots, try a little vinegar and rag. But I'm guessing it's the clear coat.  I've heard of others, that sand with like 1000 grit sandpaper and respray the clearcoat.

I believe that's my issue. I wonder if Rustoleum clear coat would work.

You can buy a rattle can spry for re coating the clear coating on wheels. Two light coats and one heavy coat, will be rock hard and resist chipping.>>>Dan  (Wall Mart)

I'm pretty sure schoolsout's Winnie Tour has clear-coated coated aluminum wheels. Using an abrasive polish designed for uncoated wheels can actually harm the finish. The clear-coated wheels don't shine quite as bright as uncoated wheels when at their best, but the shine lasts indefinitely and requires only washing.

If there are spots, there are two possibilities:
1. Hard water spots (mineral salts) that cling stubbornly. A moderately strong white vinegar solution usually works, but if they are really stubborn you may need a polishing product. Anything safe for an automotive clear coat should do the trick.

2. The clear coat has been scratched or otherwise damaged and corrosion has gotten underneath. That's a sand and re-finish job.

https://www.turtlewax.com/en-us/how-to/posts/how-to-remove-water-spots-from-a-car

Look at the codes stamped into your wheels. I believe Winnebago favors using Accu-Ride, or Accu-brite wheels. The Accu-Rides are not coated and are polishable. The Accu-Brites are coated.  You could have Alcoa wheels, but there is a code stamped on them as well. 

Alcoa's usually have round vent holes in the wheels, and Accu-Rides are more oblong with a slight peak on one side. I just polished up my Alcoa's  today with Mother's and a powerball. They are shining like 22.5" diamonds.......

I have Accuride.  They polished up real nice.  Now covered for the winter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom