Need Help Selecting a Generator for my EVO Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhbell

I am thinking of getting a small portable generator for my FR EVO T2360 travel trailer to run a coffee maker, charge the TT batteries, watch TV and play DVD player as well as run lights. All lights in my TT are L.E.D. I am thinking of getting a 2000 watt Generator. I don't want to buy a honda or one of those because of the expense, and we won't be dry camping that much. Won't be using the AC either. I have seen several, but how do you hook them to the trailer. most only have a 110 duplex outlet. do you use a adapter that converts your RV cord to a normal plug for plugging into a duplex outlet on the generator? I am thinking of getting a cheap sportsman 2000 watt non inverter type. What do you use? what do you recommend. The sportsman is $169 and a WEN is $179 both are non inverter types. The inverter types are $500 or more.
Thanks for your input and any advise.
Mel

2000 watts is a good size for what you want, that equates to about 15 amps of AC current. (Most 2000 watt generators are actually rated at 2000 watts surge and 1800 watts continuous duty).  Give up the coffee maker and you can get by with a smaller generator.

You're right, you just get a 15 amp to 30 amp pigtail and use it to plug the trailer into the generator, just like plugging the trailer into a 15 amp shore power outlet.

One thing to watch out for is if the generator is rated for 120/240 volts, only half of it's power (7.5 amps) will be available at 120 volts.  A 120/240 volt generator has two windings, both are used for 240 volts but only one at a time will be available for 120 volt power unless the generator has a 120/240 volt selector switch.  In the 120 volt position both windings can deliver power to the 120 volt outlet.

This isn't an issue with the inverter generators, just the conventional ones.

Yes, you would probably use an adapter, just like you would if plugging into a 15A or 20A outlet at home. Your trailer probably has a 30A plug and you would likely use something like this one:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/power-grip-adapter-15a-male-to-30a-female/27986

Some gensets have twist-lock outlets rated for 20A or even 30A. An adapter like this one would be used:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/power-grip-generator-adapter-30a/35832

As Lou cautioned, make sure you identify the number and types of outlets the genset has.  On some you cannot get the use of the full rated capacity from a single 120v outlet. A standard household 15A/120v outlet can provide 1800 watts max.

I've done power, lighting and sound at music camps for 36 years.  We tried cheap generators and invariably they are loud, require constant maintenance, and usually fail within 2-3 years.

We bought a USED Honda about 12 years ago and all I do is change the oil, clean the spark plug and air filter once a year.  I'm a Honda believer.

I know you are looking at the $200 range but try to consider going up to about $500.  The inverter type puts out "clean" power which is safer when you are charging phones, computers and powering other electronics.  The inverter generators are much quieter than standard generators.  I have a Champion 2000W and have been very pleased with it.  The Champion is slightly louder than the Honda.

During my towable days I had a Honda 2000 and later a 3000. Both were bullet proof, and the 2000 was so quiet you could set it on a picnic table while it was running, and have a conversation standing next to it in a normal voice.  Both the Honda's and the Yamaha's are great generators.

When it comes to generators, I believe in one old analogy. Spend the money to buy a quality proven generator, cry once when you pay for it.  Buy a cheap knock off, cry every time you start it (or listen to your neighbors cry).

Indeed.  While sticker shock hits many when looking at Honda or Yamaha 2000w units, that will be a distant memory several years down the road when the unit is still running and doing a great job.  Easy to maintain, easy on gas, easy on noise.  Nice clean power equal to anything from the power company. 

Back
Top Bottom