Safe to leave gas on while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beat to death topic.
Probably 90% of us do.  The rest seem to think its too scary to do so.

I tried it Once, to see how I liked it....having the fridge cold while we travelled.  I liked it well enough to try it again, and what do ya know...same results.  So, I thought Id try it again..........it's become a habit!  Try it, you'll like it! 

yES BUT....Turn off any pilot lights/refer while refueling in a service station.

BruceinFL said:
yES BUT....Turn off any pilot lights/refer while refueling in a service station.

Actually, you need to turn off the water heater and fridge. If the igniters start in, that's what causes problems.

Over the last 20 years with a refrigerator running on propane we turn off the gas when we change tanks or empty the refrigerator at home.

I never have, and never will.
To me it is a safety issue.

Others can do as they want to.

Jack L

lavarock1210 said:
Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ5Qe1ESVfU&feature=youtu.be

May not be a good time to have the propane fridge running and propane valves open.

Did I miss the fire or explosion?  Besides loose tanks on a trailer and mounted tank on a motorhome are some what different in likelihood of separation from the vehicle.  As several have said, it is a personal choice.  Don't need the hot water because the engine is keeping that heated but do need cold and frozen items in fridge so I let ours run when on the road.

Bill

Still don't see a problem. The propane tanks are outfitted with a safety valve whereas if it senses a large amount of gas leaking such as a broken line, the valve will shut.

The problem is not so much the propane for the Fridge or hot water heater in YOUR RV itself but if the fridge/heater is left ON, the automatic lighting equipment (DSI) may try to start the fridge/heater and will generates sparks to do so. This can possibly ignite any gasoline fumes that can be found around the gasoline pumps while refueling, especially if someone nearby allows their tank to overflow, spilling gasoline all over the ground.

That is why it is recommended to always shut those appliances down completely when refueling. Running with propane and appliances on does not present that danger usually.

You'll kill yourself and everyone around you! Or so some people would have you believe. Most of us do it all the time. When was the last time you heard leaving the L.P. gas on was the reason for an explosion or fire?
RichH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom