Safe to leave gas on while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, both my furnaces, the water heater, and the fridge before we went residential, are on the opposite side from the fuel filler. As said, the propane tank is on the same side as the appliances though.

NY_Dutch said:
Yep, both my furnaces, the water heater, and the fridge before we went residential, are on the opposite side from the fuel filler. As said, the propane tank is on the same side as the appliances though.

I don't think the placement of those items was done by accident.  Same on my coach.  A car driving up on the other side of the pump would have more of a chance of blowing up the place.  But this is one of those thread like the toilet paper one  - it is up to each operator as to what they prefer to do

Bill

I sell forklifts and one of the biggest safety features on a forklift is being powered by diesel fuel.  Same thing with vehicles.  Diesel fuel has no explosive fumes so it is safer to transport, store, dispense and haul in a vehicle fuel tank.
I have several customers that are welding/fab shops.  They prefer diesel powered forklifts for this very reason.  Electric lofts produce hydrogen when their batteries are discharging and charging and we all know the dangers of gasoline and propane fumes.

gravesdiesel said:
Diesel fuel has no explosive fumes so it is safer to transport, store, dispense and haul in a vehicle fuel tank.

This is funny because technically your statement is correct, however the intent of what comes across is ALL WRONG!!  No organic substance (like petroleum fuels) generate fumes, because fumes are composed of particulate matter, and fume generally refers to the smoke that comes off of burning metal.  so "diesel fuel has no  . .fume" is correct.

HOWEVER, it looks like what you're trying to state is that diesel fuel has no "explosive" vapors.  And therein lies the problem.

If it doesn't burn, how in holy nature do you think it generates POWER?  Diesel fuel does most certainly burn -- it just takes higher temperatures or pressure to generate enough volume of diesel vapor to get it to do so when compared to gasoline.  Diesel fuel is regulated by every safety and environmental agency as a hazardous material.  IT IS, scientifically classed as a COMBUSTIBLE, which denotes a lower (but not zero) explosive or fammability hazard compared to gasoline, which is classed as a FLAMMABLE.

Don't want to believe me?  Here's a paste from the CITGO Safety Data Sheet, you know, that OSHA required document that ALL employees who work with, around, or are exposed to diesel fuel are suppose to be VERY familiar with?

"""Flammable liquid and vapor. In a fire or if heated, a pressure increase will occur and
the container may burst, with the risk of a subsequent explosion. The vapor/gas is
heavier than air and will spread along the ground. Vapors may accumulate in low or
confined areas or travel a considerable distance to a source of ignition and flash back.
Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard."""

Link to pdf document if you'd like to familiarize with ALL the other hazards of diesel - for example, toxicity.
http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/AG2DF.pdf

I give up!

Still not one,  NOT ONE case where having the propane on when fueling caused a fire.
You are wasting your time tying to prove a non event. Have fun.
You have completely miss construed the OP's question so you can rant about the dangers of Diesel. WHAT are you trying to prove? Posting about people setting firers when they improperly use a torch to cut a diesel tank, riley how is this germane to the subject?
Bill

In the situations I explained, it is not explosive. It is the safest out of the fuels I listed (lead acid battery, propane, gasoline and diesel fuel) for the situations I listed (welding/fab shop, storage, transporting, dispensing and hauling in a vehicle fuel tank).

WILDEBILL308 said:
Still not one,  NOT ONE case where having the propane on when fueling caused a fire.
You have completely miss construed the OP's question so you can rant about the dangers of Diesel. WHAT are you trying to prove? Posting about people setting firers when they improperly use a torch to cut a diesel tank, riley how is this germane to the subject?
Bill

Amen Bill.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Bill

The statement was made that "Diesel fuel has no explosive fumes..." which is obviously incorrect given the reported explosions. And I have not "misconstrued" anything, since I'm in agreement that propane related fires while refueling are nearly non-existent.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Bill

http://www.houmatoday.com/news/20100325/gas-station-fire-destroys-indiana-couples-rv

Plus I witnessed a fire at a gas station caused by an RV with the refrigerator on.  Burned the whole station to the ground.

newfurrows said:
It doesn't look like this discussion is likely to change much.  We have about beat it to death!

I agree and am locking the post before things turn nasty....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom