Winter snow on roof and ice on air conditionet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewtorvBill

I am preparing for my first trip. It has been snowing. Using a step ladder I brush off the snow carefully. There is ice on my airconditioner. When we ran the heat it stopped fairly immediately. Heat kept coming though. But what should I do about the ice. Should I use a hair dryer on top of it, wait for a sunny day, try to run the fan on high, run the heat inside. It is 23 degrees out.  I appreciate any help.

Those AC covers are pretty flimsy. I think most folks just drive off and let wind and road vibration break the ice loose. You could always drive to California. I guarantee that our roads will shake your RV so hard that no ice could remain in place.

Kev

Although it is illegal to allow the snow or ice to blow off the roof, and it is dangerous for traffic following.  But since it annoys the daylight out of me when people tailgate, I always drove down the road to allow it to slip off.  I certainly would not try using direct heat like a hairdryer, the plastic would probably crack from the temperature variations.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Although it is illegal to allow the snow or ice to blow off the roof

Does that apply to the truckers in the Midwest, lol

Usually a little daytime sun, it will slide off early in your travels.

I would simply drive SOUTH (warmer climates) seriously unless you are operating the A/C ice o the thing should not matter
And if you DO operate it when it's iced over..... Well depending on things above my pay grade.. That can do serious damage.
(By above my pay grade I am only saying I don;t know what they are) Common issue with folks who buy a house in the winter adn try out the central air.

In NH it is against the law and they watch it quite closely. 
Wait till the sun come's out and after a few hours, it should slide off.

Back
Top Bottom