Battery Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Childska89

My wife and I own a brand new Sandpiper 393RL pull behind trailer. We are living in it full time but are currently having to leave it unplugged from 50amp connection and run it off it's battery. Granted we aren't running anything other than a couple lights and the heated holding tanks since it is getting down to the high 20's. Until recently it has been fine, running a charger on the battery to fill and maintain the charge. Now, the inside read says it is dead and the charger reads full battery. Could this be an issue with the connections on the terminals? The negative side contact pulled loose and I re crimped the wire into the connection. I'm at a loss and naive to electrical anyway. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Do you have power to the lights?  Disconnect the charger and see if you have lights.  If no lights, the battery is dead.  With the charger connected, you may still have lights as the charger is putting power into the battery that will then power the lights.

Those tank heaters suck a lot of amps, so not surprising the batteries lost charge.

If you have power available for a charger, why not plug the RV into it? There are adapters to connect a 50A plug to a 120v/15A outlet. You can't run everything, but you at least use the RV's own converter/charger for 12v power.

OK, so some inside gauge reads "dead".  Does anything 12v work, e.g. lights, water pump, fridge om LP, etc? If so, you do still have power. If not, either a connection is broken or that external charger is misreading the situation somehow.

Do you have a voltmeter? Measure voltage right at the batteries for a true reading. With the external charger disconnected...

Back
Top Bottom