Arizona water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagonmaster12

First trip to Arizona Jan/Feb.  From BC, so used to nice clean water.  Wondering what to expect in Arizona (and California, I suppose) as far as water quality goes.  Don't want to gum up my systems with poor water with lots of minerals etc.  What can I expect?  Can one find a tanker truck and buy water to fill the tanks or am I being paranoid?  Is there some kind of filter I can put on my unit?  Thanks.

We use a camco hose water filter for the outside hose feed and a fine water filter (I don?t recall how many microns) under the kitchen sink so the faucet there has good-tasting water.  These are not expensive and are pretty easily installed.  (Okay, the Camco is very easily installed.)

We are currently in AZ, but have been in places with much worse water than we have in our current resort.  The filters have always given us good water.  I will not tolerate anything that messes up my morning coffee. ?

Our coach has a whole-house filter, and our fridge and sinks have additional fresh water filters. We've been  camping in the So Cal and Arizona regions for decades and never had any RV trouble caused by the water. Some people are definitely pickier than others about the water they'll drink, and some won't drink the water that's in their own RV's holding tank. Personal preference.

Kev

Actually, compared to Florida water, Arizona water is not bad. I have a whole-house filter, but I add one of the Camco filters to my freshwater hose in many locations.  It filters the water whether I use the hose to fill my freshwater tank or just hook it up as house water. 

Don't want to get into the subject, but I do drink the water.  The double-filter really helps improve the taste.  I have been traveling full-time all over the country for more than five years, and have not had problems with lime scale in my tanks. 

FYI- Grand Canyon has some of the best water in the country because it comes from Roaring Springs deep in the canyon.  They do store a couple week's worth in big tanks near Trailer Village, but that is only in case of a pipeline break.  I always not only leave with a full fresh water tank, but fill up several big water bottles when I am at Grand Canyon. Other excellent water is in campground at Amargosa Valley in Nevada near Ash Meadows. Their well pulls in spring water also. I have two big bottles of that water in case I run into some not quite so good tasting water elsewhere. 

Because of medical reasons, (only one kidney), and a susceptibility to Montezuma's Revenge, I chose to drink bottled water when we traveled and still do to this day.  We're from the Mt. Shasta area and Costco's Crystal Geysers is bottled from that area.  That's my personal choice due to consistency.

Do what fits your needs.  If you have special issues, honor those.  If you can tolerate varying water from varying locations, great!!  If you can drink the water in your water tank, even better.  But, don't feel bad if you have to make special arrangements to suit your personal needs.  Many of us have to do just that.  Whatever works best for you is what is right.  :)

Cannot speak to California's drinking water but Arizona water is not all that great so you should have a water filtration system of some sort.  Since it sounds like this may be a one time trip, I would look at getting one of the inexpensive RV in-line water filters.  They will do an adequate job of doing two things, filtering out debris to protect your rigs plumbing and, offer some taste improvement, for OK to decent drinking water.  If you want better drinking water and your rig does not have a carbon filter at the sink, you should look at a portable water filtration product such as one of the filter in a pitcher style systems which also can be kept in your refrigerator if there is room.  We have a two stage canister filter system for water entering our rig, the first stage has a filter specifically to remove debris down to 1-micron and the second is a carbon for taste.  Our rig also has a carbon filter at the kitchen sink and we have a Berkey water filter system we keep on a counter.  We use the filtered water at our kitchen sink for cooking and the occasional drink of water if we forget to add water to our Berkey and our drinking water we get through the Berkey.  The advantage to the Berkey in addition to providing excellent clear drinking water form an unknown tap, such as found at campgrounds, dump stations etc., is  for boondocking where you can obtain water directly from pretty much any water source and obtain clear, safe drinking water, we love ours and would not be without it. 

Thanks everyone.  Mainly concerned with the effects of not so good water on my trailer tank and lines.  One can always used bottled water for that morning coffee.  Will be looking into filter options.

The Camco filter, referenced by several people, simply screws on with hose threads anywhere before it enters the camper systems.  It is a basic particulate filter down to 10 microns and an activated carbon filter.  Better and more specific filters are available if you wish.  See  https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com    for much better information on this topic.

The Camco type filters will keep the pipes fairly clean.  If you get there and do not like the taste, buy bottled water.

We have been going to Yuma for 4 years, 3 months into our first stay we went and bought an RO System.  3 pre filters outside on the ladder and 2 filters+ the RO under the sink for drinking and cooking.  The city water is good just slightly alkaline and there are RO vending points through  out the city to buy RO by the 5 gallon jug if you desire.

RO Systems are very popular here in Yuma for Snow Birds.

We have had our filters clog up using city water.

Southern Nevada and Arizona (at least the western portion) have extremely hard water which affects the taste (calcium) and water spotting from irrigation sprinklers and vehicle washing.  We use a filter at the campground faucet and our motorhome has a built-in system with filters of progressive sizes.  At the kitchen sink we added an Everpure water filter and use it for cooking, etc.  It's okay for drinking "up north" but we use bottled water most of the time when in southern Nevada, Arizona, southern California and Florida.  If you have filters that trap increasingly smaller particles of minerals it will keep your system okay.  By the way, Las Vegas water has a calcium content of 900 ppm; 500 ppm is considered hard.  Water corrodes water heaters, swimming pool pumps, home plumbing systems, etc. - but that's a long term situation you don't have to worry about in an RV.

We lived on the San Francisco Peninsula for many years and I think it has among the best water in the entire country (from San Francisco south to Mountain View), both in terms of taste and purity.  It comes from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir near Yosemite and it's carried cross-country in huge pipes (no contamination along the way) and then is stored at Crystal Springs Reservoir which is a closed area so no boats or people pollute the water.  It also is naturally semi-soft water that tastes good.  We now have an RO system in our stick and brick house but didn't need anything in the SF area.

ArdraF

wagonmaster12 said:
Thanks everyone.  Mainly concerned with the effects of not so good water on my trailer tank and lines.  One can always used bottled water for that morning coffee.  Will be looking into filter options.

We have been snow birding in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada & Califorina for over 10 years with no filter system on our Bounder. Have had no adverse affects on our water system. Or our own personal systems.
Don't worry about the quality of water in your RV. Your body may need better water.

Richard

We are California based and have never done anything other than use a typical in line hose filter for the past 8 years.  No problems with the water.  For drinking water, we use a Brita Filter and just filter the tap water.  Tastes as good as any water you purchased at the store. 

We spent all or part of nine winters in AZ (Bouse near Quartzsite) . The water is so hard that it tended to collect on the walls of the plumbing and clog shower heads and faucet screens so we got a water softener, We have always used a whole house filter

I have the FloPuir Mark 8000 SEE HERE
Cost is $182 and includes shipping if bought from the site above. Regeneration is done with a box of common table salt.
It is similar to others like the "On-The-Go" water softener which is the one Camping World sells I believe.

Both are 8000 grain units which means they will last longer than those with smaller numbers without requiring regeneration. Some folks use  "Water Sticks" but the biggest one of those I have seen is only 1500 grains. The 10,000 grain units will last even longer before needing regeneration. I didn't have room for the bigger 10,000 grain model so I got the 8000 grain one.

In AZ where we spent most of the winter the water hardness is about 50 grains per gallon. That means that an 8000 grain unit will soften about 160 gallons before needing to be regenerated. Since we use about 13 gallons of water per day we have to regenerate every 12 days or so.

In our home in CO we have a water hardness of  20 GPG, there the softener will last about a month.

I use  a GE Smar****er whole house filter with a five micron charcoal filter cartridge followed by the water softener.

I got the filter and hose fittings at Home Depot - about $25 for the filter, I don't remember what I paid for the hose fittings. The cartridges cost about $7 each and last two to four months depending on water quality.

Having the filter before the softener keeps particulate matter out of the softener medium.

I also have both units set up with quick disconnects. I use water test strips to check the hardness and don't connect the softener when it isn't needed. I always use the filter.

By the way, Las Vegas water has a calcium content of 900 ppm; 500 ppm is considered hard.  Water corrodes water heaters, swimming pool pumps, home plumbing systems, etc. - but that's a long term situation you don't have to worry about in an RV.

I wrote the above on Friday afternoon.  That evening Jerry discovered we had no hot water.  Yep, another corroded hot water heater.  Yesterday we installed our fourth one in 17 years.  Number 1 lasted 6 years, number 2 lasted 4 years, and number 3 lasted 7 years.  We'll see how long this one lasts.

ArdraF

Ardra, it sounds like you need to replace the sacrificial anode more frequently.  Once the anode is gone the water heater is next. 

The main difference between a standard water heater and one with an extended warranty is the standard WH has one anode rod, the extended warranty one has two so they last longer.

Most likely you should replace the anode rod every couple of years.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/water-heater/extend-the-life-of-your-water-heater-by-replacing-the-anode-rod/view-all/

I live in Mesa and my water has ~800ppm total dissolved solids from the tap. I don't believe any filter will take that out except whole house RO. BTW, where do you think a tanker truck in AZ would get better water, and still be affordable?
RichH

While we were building our sticks and bricks house we joined our development's RV club. One of the members strongly advised us to install a whole house water filter (not RO but one that included KDF and carbon filtration). While the water still tested hard, it had great taste and our pipes, faucets and sprays have needed no attention for the last 18 years. Based on our house results, I wound up buying a setup at an FMCA (or QZ) rally from The Water Store guy that mimicked what we had at home. It was a 2 container filter with sediment and KDF filters. We drove that coach for 11 years over 120,000+ miles and still had the original water heater. We did check and change our anode rod regularly. We accidentally broke the containers and it took a couple of months (we weren't traveling in AZ) before we were able to replace the setup with the same. Turns out that on our next anode replacement, there was a lot of crud in the water heater. We washed it out and it was clean after putting the filter back into the system.

Lou, I'll mention the anode idea to Jerry.  The plumbers here all say that you need to start thinking about replacement at the five year mark.  We could see where the tank was corroded, not by much so we didn't have a huge mess to clean up.  Actually when we installed the last one we put a round aluminum pan under it and ran a hose from it through the outside wall.  This time the hose worked and all the water went out to the garden instead of onto the floor.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom