Gravel v cement pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itascajoe

Looking for some advice: I have a Itasca Meridian that I park in my back yard. I know a cement pad would be the best but what about gravel? It would be much cheaper and I think if I ever sell my house it would be much easier to remove. Thanks.

I've used concrete and and I've used decorative rock over baserock. The latter provides better drainage, but the concrete was more 'comfortable' when I had to crawl under the coach.

My coach sets on re-ground asphalt, although not gravel it works about the same.
I have no problems other than what Tom mentioned when trying to work under the coach.
I do have some settling during the spring thaws, but it's a minor problem that is remedied with a rake & shovel once a year.
If I were to do it again I'd look for a brim fill that is compact-able, and good drainage is important for the life of the pad.

Corky

Agree with Corky re 'compactible'. The baserock I mentioned was crushed rock that I compacted with a rented machine.

I would have cement as preferable if I could drive or back straight on the pad.  I have to back on my storage area and make a fairly tight turn and even on gravel the axles are put under a lot of strain.  I think the amount of strain on axles and tires would be greater if I had cement.  I just lay a piece of carpet on the gravel when I work under the camper.

My coach sits on a concrete pad.

As a General Contractor I would like to make a correction. Cement is one of the four components of concrete. Sand, Gravel, Cement, & Water makes concrete.

LOL, John. That's like me insisting that wifi is NOT in internet connection - just one way to get access to some computer that does have one. It's a technical distinction that the vast majority simply won't/can't see.

Utclmjmpr said:
Why would you have to remove if selling the house,,?? usually a parking pad is a positive not negative.>>>Dan

It's like a pool.  Some people don't want nothing to do with a  pool.
I'm sure some people would rather see grass there or use the spot to grow a garden. It's not worth anything if the buyer doesn't want it.

One other option is to put large gravel pads under the area where the tires and leveling jacks are located.  Make sure they are dug deep enough to have minimal sinking and it can be compacted.  Grass can grow right through the gravel and hide it if you wish.

Gordon reminds me of the option to use concrete blocks that allow grass to grow in the "holes". See the attached images.

Attachments

• ConcreteBlocks.jpg
    ConcreteBlocks.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 53
I laid solid 4x8x16" concrete blocks for wheel pads under our 36k lb coach. The front pads were 2'8" wide x 3'4" long and the rears 8" wider. That allowed me some leeway in lining up for parking. The rest of the area is/was grass in sandy soil that drains really well, so no moisture retention problems. The grass dies soon, though, due to shade and lack of water.

Blocks are like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/16-in-x-8-in-x-4-in-Concrete-Block-30165803/100350254

The blocks won't crack if bedded properly, and water runs off them to the adjacent soil to drain away.

Patio paver blocks just aren't strong enough - they are thin and often just "cinder" rather than concrete. Even when well bedded in sand they break up into small pieces quite quickly.  There are heavy pavers made for driveways that will work, but they tend to be pricey.

Back
Top Bottom