Paying to have fifth wheel transported

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are in the final stages of the purchase of a fifth wheel and truck from a private party.  The only problem is that is in Oklahoma, almost 1900 miles away from our home in Spokane, WA.

We thought about storing the truck and trailer in Oklahoma for the winter, but I don't like the idea of the diesel truck sitting unused for 3-4 months, and that large a purchase so far away.  So we decided to bring them north, despite the fact that it is the middle of winter.  Having never pulled a fifth wheel at all, the size (37') and weight (15K pounds for the trailer) intimidate me, particularly in adverse weather.  So I have two quotes from companies that would assign a CDL-licensed driver to pick it up and drive it here.  The price from each is about $3600, or about $2 a mile.

The company we are looking at using is Horizon Transport, which claims to be North America's largest RV transport service.  Does anyone have experience with them and any advice for us about them or the process?

Ken and Ellen Bryan

You pay for everything and I would fly to OK with you and help you drive it home. So far weather is not that bad and we could do it in three days.  2 air tickets, 2 motel rooms and meals should only cost you a grand or so.

Have you tried Uship? You can get multiple companies to bid on it for you plus read their reviews and feedback. Everyone on the site is licensed, insured, etc. I?ve used them twice and was very happy.

Seems a bit pricey since it is using your truck for hauling, but they have to pay the driver to go there, and to travel back to his homebase afterwards. That alone is a hefty add-on to his driving time and travel & overnight expenses.

I would think you could have both truck and trailer shipped (rather than driven) for somewhere around that amount.

I live in Oklahoma City. I have a fenced in yard at my shop in Del City. I'd be happy to pick it up and store it there till you can come and get it.

I pulled a 38' 5er with my 3/4 ton GMC MANY miles.

malexander said:
I pulled a 38' 5er with my 3/4 ton GMC MANY miles.

You are being sooooo considerate.

The OP said "We are in the final stages of the purchase of a fifth wheel and truck from a private party". So you wouldn't need to use your truck.

Rene T said:
You are being sooooo considerate.

The OP said "We are in the final stages of the purchase of a fifth wheel and truck from a private party". So you wouldn't need to use your truck.

Yeah, that's how I read it. ;D Just making sure he knew I'd pulled 5er's. So, I'd pick up his complete rig & store it for him.

Since it's in Oklahoma and I'm in OKC, nowhere in OK is really a long ways away for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom