The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R.J.

Hi. New to RV Forum.. Wife and I are recently retired. Planning a cross country adventure on our 26' travel trailer.

WELCOME!!!

We are here to help in any way we can!

Tell us more about your rig.  What is your tow vehicle?  What make and model of TT?  How long have you been RVing?

Hi and welcome to the forum, good to have you join in.

Check out our library and resources sections and ask anything you need to.

Safe travels.

2013 Summerland 2570RL
2011 Chev Silverado 1500
Reese weight distribution hitch.

Camped down in the Smoky mountains this summer. She did well, but ran a bit hot in the mountains. I bit nervous about taking her out west. Coming from upstate NY.

Sounds like a decent fit.  When it does run hot, DO NOT shut the motor down until it can cool down.  Getting a bigger radiator may help.  I assume you have the tow package with transmission cooler.  Trannys often fail long before any engine issue surface.  Heat is the enemy.

Do lots of reading and ask lots of questions.

The only way to know your personal rig combination is to use the CAT scales at the truck stop.

The simplest method is to go to the CAT scales with your rig loaded for the road; weigh your truck, hook up the trailer with the WD hitch and weigh the combination.

This two numbers will tell you;
* How much your trailer added to the weight of the truck when loaded for the road. That is the tongue weight add to your truck through the WD hitch.
* How much weight each axle is carrying.
* The total weight of the rig.

Be sure to center the truck between the first and second scale pad. 

Remember this is a snap shot of your rig weight at the time. I have found my load can vary 200 to 300 lbs between trips depending on how much stuff I can not live without on each trip.  ;)  Also, you can easily have that much variance during a trip, depending on the amount of gasoline, water, food and dump tank levels.

It is nice to know the real numbers, they are usually higher than you think.

Good luck

Congratulations on your retirement. The smokies can sure tax a tow vehicle with all those steep, slow hairpin turns. Out west in the mountains, it?s the smokies on steroids. ? If you continue to enjoy camping and traveling, you most likely will get a little heavier tow vehicle or diesel, but if not in the budget just have a blast anyway. ??

Congratulations on your retirement. I hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and I do. RVing is a great way to see the country when you are not rushed.

I retired four years ago an we bought a 25 ft. Dutchmen tow behind. Since then  have driven coast to coast and border to border. Here are some of the things we learned in the process.

1. You do not need a Gonzo truck, but you do need enough horse power and cargo capacity. Our first F-150 had the cargo capacity but only a 200 hp. motor.  That meant slow and constant down shifting. We replaced it with a 356 hp. F-150 with e-boost.
2. You will exceed your cargo capacity before your towing capacity. I can pull 15, 000 lbs. But with my wife, dog and camp gear combine with my tongue weigh put me at the max cargo limit.
3. We started with full hookups at KOA and other camp grounds because they were convenient, had all the amenities and easy to park in. We soon migrated to electric only. We prefer the National, State, County parks be cause they are a bit more rustic and  generally seem less crowded. 
4. You will find that you will travel about 250 to 300 mile a day, and average 50 mph. Partially because there are a number of road side attractions to visit.
5. Unless we are going to a high tourist area such as the Grand Canyon etc. or happen to hit Spring Break  :) we do not make reservation ahead of time usually by 1:00 we know how far we want to go then use the internet to find a camp ground down the road. If we do have an appointed day of arrival we allow an extra day or two for travel and camp near by if needs be.
6. Finally carry a spare trailer tire the tools to change it. Now we use a Tire-Aid ramp. Twice knowing how to change a tire (and where to put the jack) was the difference between an annoying 20 minutes of work, and sitting on some back road waiting for Road Service to find you.   

Also keep in mind that one persons white knuckle drive is another's slow going. You can never have too much truck but you can have too little. The truck that can handle the load and you like to drive is the best options. We have crossed the Rockies twice and never felt the need for anything bigger.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride

R.J. said:
2013 Summerland 2570RL
2011 Chev Silverado 1500
Reese weight distribution hitch.

Camped down in the Smoky mountains this summer. She did well, but ran a bit hot in the mountains. I bit nervous about taking her out west. Coming from upstate NY.
About what months will you be out here in the west? July, August and September we'll see 110 here in California, Arizona and Nevada so you best get your cooling system working good.

Also do you have a route planned yet?  If you go near Sturgis at the beginning of August be aware there will be very few campsites available.

http://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/

Welcome to the forum!  You should get the heating problem before trying a long trip across the country.

A little tip for keeping fluids cooler in those challenging hills / mountains.  It's often better to take the truck out of tow/haul mode and manually shift the gears.  The engine and transmission will actually run cooler running at 2/3 of max RPM rather than trying to lug up those mountains in the lower RPM range. 

I agree with others here that suggest making sure the cooling system is fully checked out by someone you trust before you head out west...especially if you see those upper 90 to 100 degree days. 

Congrats on the retirement and welcome to the RV life!!! 

Back
Top Bottom