Need to pull my generator...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HitNtheroad

I am operating a 2007 Four Winds 5000 28a with an Onan WisperQuiet 4000 generator. It is leaking oil...appears to be coming from a gasket but I can't tell for sure. The leak is up above the bottom pan of the mounting base so I am not positive. Visual inspection is near impossible due to the way it is mounted, very little to now room around the generator itself to look at anything. I feel like I will likely have to replace some seals/gaskets somewhere but I can't find any tutorial on how to the the generator out of the RV so I can work on it. I am game for doing the work myself but I need some guidance. Any help, tips, or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I pulled mine out several years ago but I had access to a fork lift and a full machine shop.  You might be able to do it with a floor jack and a couple of helpers.

That was my plan but it fits so tightly in the cabinet that I'm not sure how to disconnect everything. I don't want to drop it down if there isn't enough slack to disconnect the fuel line and electrical connections. I am going to try and drop it down just enough to get everything loose.

I have to take a 2,600 mile trip in a couple of weeks and it may require running the generator one/two nights at most. Do you think it would be ok to run the generator for a few hours as long as I keep the oil filled? I will definitely fix it when I get back but I won't have time before I go and the trip can't be put off.

It depends on how much it leaks and how fast it leaks.  It might also have a low oil level switch which will shut down the generator if the level gets too low.
On mine, I had enough room to disconnect everything before I unfastened the mounting bolts. I'm spoiled being able to park for 4 to 6 weeks in my friend's machine shop parking lot in Santa Cruz, CA.

Lets face it,,someone had to have installed the thing with enough slack to make the final hook-up's.. You should have enough slack in the gas line, wires, exhaust,  and be able to remove bolts that hold it in place.>>>Dan

Valid point Dan, Thank you. I am confident I can get it done...mostly checking around for any tips or hacks to make it as painless as possible. My dad always told me..."if a monkey can put it together then a monkey can take it apart". Not sure but I think my dad was calling me a monkey...LOL!

Also check the oil pressure sending unit. On cars, the sending unit is the first place I look for an oil leak and I have sure found some bad ones.

If that unit is made the same as the unit on my lift truck I would suspect the bottom seal is gone. Very common problem, have been through 2 in ~1200 hrs.

Daffy,

I suspect that is correct. I can feel up around the lower seal and I am pretty sure that is where the oil is leaking from. I will pull it and replace as soon as I get back from my trip. Thanks for confirming that to be a potential problem spot!

I just had to remove mine last summer. There was no slack in the fuel hoses, I disconnected them and plugged them (there are two on my model)

I had to disconnect the 12V starter solenoid and the 12V ground, then remove the electronics board to get to the actual 120Volt connections (I ended up replacing the cable with a weatherproof twist lock female pigtail and a male end on the RV).

From underneath the RV, had to remove the exhaust fitting, then there were 6 bolts holding it to the mounting plate in the RV.

Then me and a buddy pulled it out of the compartment, very tight fit.

Back
Top Bottom