Newbie looking for tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgumz

We will be taking our Class C for a two month trip next year. It will be a combination of visiting friends/family and taking in some sights. First time going out for more than a few days. What she would definitely bring or not bring? What is your favorite ?I?ll never do that again ? or ?Gee, I wish I had...??

Unless you will be out in the boonies and well away from stores, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can't bring enough food & beverage for two months, so you will be shopping regularly. Other than that, you just need your personal comfort stuff.

Gary pretty much ?nailed-it?. With most class c?s (if boondocking), water will probably be the ?qualifier? on days spent without some shopping. After that...your next shortage will probably be frozen foods. We are (as we speak) shopping for a small (approximately 3.5 cu.ft.) chest freezer ( most RV freezers are notoriously small) to carry additional frozen food. As it?s only the two of us ( 99% of the time), so....we?re removing the chair behind the passenger seat, and will mount the freezer there. We carry many pre-prepared meals (in casserole dishes), frozen veggies, and wild game). Our unit has 60+ gallons of fresh water, so (if we? conservative) we can go a while between water refills.

If you take meds be sure to have an ample supply and have a way to pay bills electronically. Most importantly enjoy! Best of travels.

I sincerely appreciate everyone?s responses. I semi-expected some responses that I needed to bring plenty doohickeys and not to forget the thingamajig that I didn?t even know existed. I always knew I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing!  :eek:

Before leaving on an extended trip we don't worry too much about food. You aren't going to pack 2 months of food so pack enough food for a couple of days. Supermarkets are everywhere.

But do think about things you may need while on the road that you depend on at home. Computer, tablet, WiFi hot spot, books, printer, paper, guide books, kitchen utensils like blender, coffee maker, waffle maker, pots & pans, fan, portable heater. This kind of stuff you have at home would cost you unnecessarily if you forgot to take them.

Tools. A basic took kit is a must. Things on a RV break and it's not always easy to find someone to fix them. Basic spare parts like a fan belt, oil, transmission fluid, a step stool or ladder, etc.

We travel 3 months/yr now.  I always take a well stocked general toolbox and a battery drill. But then, I am the handyman type. It has saved me a number of inconveniences over the years.

Only issues we have had have been electronic.

We use a LOT of data when we travel, something that we take for granted at home. AT&T has a $65 unlimited data "go-phone" plan if you have an unlocked phone. 22GB full speed, then throttled if you go past that within 30 days. This is the first year we have seen that offered, and so far are benefitting a lot from that plan. Most phones can be set up as data hotspots to provide online access to other devices nearby.

I always take my desktop replacement 17" laptop when we travel, but it died on me about a week out this year. I am SO glad that I also took my 12" machine, and backed up my data to it before we left.

Frank.

If you have a class C you should know they don't generally have very much CCC (cargo carrying capacity) or the ability to carry very much extra weight besides the people and their stuff. You don't want to carry around a bunch of stuff on the theory you might need it because you probably won't. Anything to find you need while on the road can usually be found at a Walmart.

Dgumz said:
We will be taking our Class C for a two month trip next year. It will be a combination of visiting friends/family and taking in some sights. First time going out for more than a few days. What she would definitely bring or not bring? What is your favorite ?I?ll never do that again ? or ?Gee, I wish I had...??
In my opinion the number one thing you need on an extended trip is a toad. You give up over 80% of the things you can see and do if you have to rely on getting around in your RV.
Ben there and done that.
Bill

SeilerBird said:
If you have a class C you should know they don't generally have very much CCC (cargo carrying capacity) or the ability to carry very much extra weight besides the people and their stuff. You don't want to carry around a bunch of stuff on the theory you might need it because you probably won't. Anything to find you need while on the road can usually be found at a Walmart.

You can't say that is entirely true. I have about 2500# ccc on mine, and enough storage room to exceed it. Granted, it's not the ccc of a 45' pusher, but still respectable. Before I bought it we had looked at a brand new 34' Bounder, ccc was 1300#. Each RV is unto it's own, and can't be just put into a lump just because of it's class.

kdbgoat is right, of course, but a typical C will be under 2000 lbs of CCC. The 2018 Leprechaun 31 footers are in the 1600-1800 lb range and that's with typical equipment rather than high option content. By the time you add people, gear, and water, that doesn't seem like a large number any longer.

His 2016 319DS is one of the more capable ones, showing 2230 lb CCC in the brochure (as typically equipped, of course).

Depends somewhat where your starting from and where your going.

One big surprise for me is coming from MI to FL the food prices here are sky high in comparison.
I brought a fair amount of food with me - but next year - No matter where I go - I plan to carry even more nonperishable
food items so I don't have a heart attack over the high prices.

Fl - 1 gallon of milk is almost $4  In MI 1.99 - 2.39 is common and I have bought it for .99 on sale.
Obviously there is only so much cold stuff you can bring - but so far I haven't seen anything cheaper in FL than in MI.  OK maybe gasoline?
But that's not food. 

So just be aware that not all things are equal.  I plan to return to MI almost empty of food, because I can stock up at lower prices at home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom