HDMI Antenna's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pegymo52

I have read lots of info about using Sat's and antennas, does anyone use an HDMI antenna, and how well does it work??

Welcome to The RV Forum!

I'm a little confused by your question.  HDMI is a cable standard, it defines the cable and connectors going between a video source and the HDMI monitor or TV.

If you're asking about the HDTV antennas, they work with local TV stations.  You'll find lots of stations (ABC,CBS, NBC, Fox and networks like MeTV on their subchanels) near major population centers, not so many out in the boonies.

Here's a web site that shows what local TV stations MAY be available at any given site:

https://www.antennaweb.org/

Unfortunately, it doesn't take terrain into account.  For example, I'm in Pahrump NV and it says I can receive all of the Las Vegas TV stations.  However, there's an 8000 ft. mountain range between Pahrump and Las Vegas, so all that comes in are a single Pahrump TV station and a couple of Las Vegas TV stations that have installed booster transmitters on this side of the mountains.

Would you like to know the difference between a standard, old fashion TV antenna and a new Modern, HD Digital TV antenna... $50.00 (or some other number) yup they slap "Digita" Or :"HD" on the box they charge more.  Well some do.. Occasionally there really IS a difference... I will explain.

First: The BEST RV antenna sold in the USA is the Winegard Sensar IV with the OPTIONAL Sensar Pro wall plate.. Oh there are others that brag like a politician but in real life tests. The Sensar IV is hard to beat (like impossible).  (I will say in some locations the Jack will get more stations, but that is because you are close in and the transmitters are thus spread out.. Normally all the transmitters will be withing a couple degrees).

IN the old days of analog TV was transmitted on Channels, numbered 2-69,,, Today in the DIGITAL age, TV is transmitted on channels, 2-69,, Yup the very same frequencies (Channels) and that is ALL that the antenna cares about.. Though in the old days there were more on the 2-13 and not so many on the 14-69.. that has flitpped.. Which is why Winegard came out with the Wingman for the older Sensar II and III (improves UHF performance)

So the moral is this: Whatever TV antenna you have now IS an HDTV antenna No need for a special buy

Most of what is advertised now days for "Only 3 easy payments of 29.95,  Used to sell for 29.95 OR LESS in the analog days. EXACT SAME ANTENNA.. I've seen people pay 100 bucks for a UHF only antenna that sold for 20 bucks not all that long ago...

Save your money.

John is talking about over-the-air TV like you used to get at home with an old-fashioned roof-top antenna.

Satellite TV is a whole different ballgame.  It requires an entirely different antenna, whether portable or roof-mounted.  It uses HDMI cables like Lou mentioned.  If you want satellite TV you have to decide first whether you want to subscribe to DirecTV or Dish because they use different satellites and each has it's own antenna so it works to "see" the proper satellite.  Further, if you want HDTV, as opposed to standard digital TV, it also requires a different larger antenna which not only rises up and turns in different directions but it also "skews" at the proper angle to see the HDTV satellite.  Again, each of the channel suppliers uses different antennas.  You determine which channel supplier you want based on what programming they have that interests you the most.

We have DirecTV for our HDTV satellite channels, but we also have an over-the-air antenna like John mentioned so we can watch local channels where we are camping for their weather coverage for example.  By the way, there probably also is a cable connection so you can get CATV channels where provided.  Some campgrounds are remote and have no over-the-air coverage and some have so many trees that satellite TV can't see the sky clear enough to get satellite signals. Such places sometimes provide CATV which can range from pretty good to dismal, depending on their subscription.  In other words, you might have three entirely different and separate methods to receive TV channels.  You use each one for different situations.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom