Compuserve account

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
All

After 17 years I have finally closed my Compuserve account. There my Compuserve Email address is no longer active.

Ken

I didn't think anyone was left at Compuserve.  Did you turn out the lights for them :)  I'll update my address book.

There are still some folks using Compuserve as their ISP and E-mail but they are gettigng fewer and farther between, Most of us have gone NRF (non-member registration in forums) since the switch to Prospero,  I paid to be able to use my OLR back when I could use my OLR but when they closed that down.. I dumped it like a hot potato.

Ned said:
I didn't think anyone was left at Compuserve.  Did you turn out the lights for them :)  I'll update my address book.

No, no -- don't turn out the lights. I'm still there.  :)

About 5 or so years ago, CS was giving an AARP discount to members of $4.95/mos. My only usage was email so the bills have never been over that amount. I now have my Starband account w/the Internet Satellite that I use -- plus have my server rvspacemanager.com, plus have recently locked in an rlbuchanan.com domain.

The CS account is the one I have used all these years for my business, and have just not gotten around to changing business cards, web sites, and so forth. But I "will" do that -- so again, please leave the lights on.

I was very disappointed when AOL took over CS.  The only reason I kept CS the last few years before I dropped them was the RV Forum.  When the forum dropped CS I dropped CS and have never regreted it.

One of these days even Bob will see the light maybe and let the lights go out. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I had my Compuserve account before they had forums and when we used to connect at a whopping 300 baud. Back then CSI was a database search tool.

Over the years I appreciated being able to connect to a Compuserve node almost any place I happened to be in the world and to be able to retrieve my email and participate in forums any time of the day or night in any time zone.

The downfall started when H&R Block purchased the company and it continued when AOL acquired them. The introduction of web based forums and the subsequent demise of the HMI interface took it down a few more notches. When the Prospero forum software was introduced I had high hopes for the revival of forums, but the restriction of only 3 messages per page and the necessity of downloading lots of ads made it all but unusable for folks on slow connections &/or cell phones &/or limited minutes. We almost lost our entire forum membership over that fiasco.

I kept my @compuserve.com email address for some time after we moved our forum here, mainly because it had been my main contact address for so many years. I finally saw it as an unnecessary expense (although I was locked into a $9.95/mo plan all those years) and canceled the account approx 2 years ago. The end of an era.

Yep I recall when we thought we really had the latest when we had 300 baud.  I started with The Source while we were in Japan and then went to CS that at that time had a free node available in Tokyo.  Wow really high tech.  The as you mentioned HR Block and thought it couldn't get worse but then came AOL and it continued to go down hill from there on IMHO.

I don't think anybody could have been happier when you made the choice of moving the forum from CS.

Ron said:
I don't think anybody could have been happier when you made the choice of moving the forum from CS.

Thanks Ron. However, not everyone supported the move, but I think we're better off today than we were just prior to the move.

Ron said:
Yep I recall when we thought we really had the latest when we had 300 baud.  I started with The Source while we were in Japan and then went to CS that at that time had a free node available in Tokyo.  Wow really high tech.  The as you mentioned HR Block and thought it couldn't get worse but then came AOL and it continued to go down hill from there on IMHO.

I remember being able to read the screen at 300 baud.  Couldn't do that at 1200.  I had one of the earliest email accounts there, [email protected].  People were amazed that I had no numbers or underscores in my email address. But, $9.95/mo was too much to pay just for the privilege of impressing people.  I dropped them a few years ago.

Irv

Like Bob, I was getting monthly credits for the AARP Forum, even tho it no longer existed. When I finally dropped CIS I had over $100 in unused credits. Was only able to use them for service charges; 800 calls, overtime, etc and with wifi and cell phone the credits just kept building. $5 a month just to keep a long used email address or a free dial up connection wasn't worth it.

I still have a CS account (actually two of them), both "free" accounts in the sense there is no monthly fee (PAYG plan). And of course you can visit the CS forums without a CS account anyway, but I haven't done so in over a year. Last time was a visit to the Windows Help forum, which was still (back then anyway) an excellent resource.

I am really glad we left there and feel we are far, far better off today than ever we were on CS.

Bob,

Last year I called and asked for the 4.95 account and was told there was no such thing. I had been on the 9.95 account for years.

When I called to cancel the first thing they asked was that I take a 4.95 account!

Ken

Somehow that doesn't suprise me.  When I called to cancel right after the RV Forum moved here they offered me the same thing then offered the PAYG program.  Of course I declined and have no regrets.

RV Roamer said:
I am really glad we left there and feel we are far, far better off today than ever we were on CS.

Me too Gary, but then I'm biased. I really enjoy being out from under the restrictive contract composed by the battery of AOL lawyers which placed most (all) the liability at my doorstep. They called us "business partners", but I carried the liability and did a lot of the work, while AOL reaped 100% of the benefits. I've always enjoyed working my butt off for the forum membership, but not to benefit AOL.

This environment is so much more enjoyable; Nobody chasing me to do their marketing work for them.

This discussion reminds me to repeat something I said to attendees at the recent Moab rally ....

I'm extremely grateful to the members who stuck it out during the tough transition period while we struggled with the old system and the tough decision to move here. I also don't often publicly thank the forum staff for having stuck through it all and for all their continued efforts. Without the loyal membership and dedicated staff this forum would not have survived or be where it is today.

Unsure who the dedicated staffers are? Clcik the Hosts button in the toolbar above and you'll see their photos and a brief bio. Please say a big "thank you" to these folks if you run into them at a campground on your travels.

Back
Top Bottom