RV panel electrical question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boonieman

We had a pole barn built last year and I installed an RV panel like you would find at a typical RV campground, it has a 30 amp, a 50 amp, and a 120v GFCI receptacle that were pre-wired on the panel. Each receptacle has its own breaker/breakers for each receptacle. We we considering having some friends down to camp this coming year. Can we plug both units into this panel at the same time, one of us using the 50 amp and the other using the 30 amps receptacles? The RV panel is being supplied from a 200 amp main panel inside the building via 80 amp double-pole breakers with a 50 foot run of #4 wire. I think it will be ok, but I wanted to hear if from folks with a lot more experience than me. Thanks!

Yes.
Asa matter of fact, I was in a RV store last week browsing and noticed a 50 amp plug that split to two 50 amp receptacles.
it was advertised for motor homes that go to the auto races and wanted to park side by side or close to each other using one 50 amp supply.
it is different from what you wanted to do, but could be an alternative way.

jack l

Boonieman said:
We had a pole barn built last year and I installed an RV panel like you would find at a typical RV campground, it has a 30 amp, a 50 amp, and a 120v GFCI receptacle that were pre-wired on the panel. Each receptacle has its own breaker/breakers for each receptacle. We we considering having some friends down to camp this coming year. Can we plug both units into this panel at the same time, one of us using the 50 amp and the other using the 30 amps receptacles? The RV panel is being supplied from a 200 amp main panel inside the building via 80 amp double-pole breakers with a 50 foot run of #4 wire. I think it will be ok, but I wanted to hear if from folks with a lot more experience than me. Thanks!
You should be OK. 

Bottom line:
--  A 50 amp RV is really 50 amps on each hot leg (L1 & L2)
--  A 50 30 amp RV is only 30 amps on one hot leg. 

So if the 50amp RV maxed out the 50 amps on the same hot leg as the 30 amp RV, you could be pulling 80 amps the same amount as the CB in the main panel. 

As to the ability of the #4 wire to safely carry the 80amp for 50', check it with this wire size calculator: http://carpc.kyferez.com/Tools/ElectronicsCalculator.php?frame=/Tools/electronics/calcWireVDrop.html

edited by Ken

AStravelers said:
You should be OK. 

Bottom line:
--  A 50 amp RV is really 50 amps on each hot leg (L1 & L2)
--  A 50 amp RV is only 30 amps on one hot leg. 

So if the 50amp RV maxed out the 50 amps on the same hot leg as the 30 amp RV, you could be pulling 80 amps the same amount as the CB in the main panel. 

As to the ability of the #4 wire to safely carry the 80amp for 50', check it with this wire size calculator: http://carpc.kyferez.com/Tools/ElectronicsCalculator.php?frame=/Tools/electronics/calcWireVDrop.html
OOPS!!!!  Yep that should have been "A 30 amp RV is only 30 amps on one hot leg. 

I would correct my posting, but the modify button is missing, so I can't correct my error.

According to NEC, (National Electrical Code),  #4 THHN is suitable for 95 amps,  #4 THWN is suitable for 85 amps and #4 THW is suitable for 70 amps.  THHN insulation is 90 degrees C, THWN is 75 degrees C and THW is 60 degrees C.  So insulation type is important but 99.99 percent of the wire theses days for these applications is THHN.  I don't think your going to see a significant voltage drop in just 50 feet either, if any, even if under a 60 percent load.  Happy Camping in the barn though, that's where mine is right now.

Mine is #4 THHN. Thanks for all the responses!! In retrospect, I should have asked these questions before I did the install. I did research it some, but at the time I wasn?t thinking of having two campers plugged in at the same time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom