Atlanta - what a mess!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Atlanta airport got hit with a major power outage, grounding all flights and stranding countless passengers. The domino effect will screw up schedules at numerous other airports. I'm so glad I no longer fly for a living.

Amen to that, Tom!!!  Last spring we had to go through Atlanta and slept on the airport floor when "tornado-like conditions" hit the area and Delta alone cancelled several hundred flights.  Thousands of people were standing in VERY long lines and/or sleeping wherever they could find a space.  It took 36 hours to get from Las Vegas to Greenville SC.  Jerry said it was the worst flight he ever had and you know he also flew many thousands of miles when working.

ArdraF

I can?t imagine how long it take to get all the passengers in Atlanta where they are supposed to be plus those delayed getting to ATL. It isn?t like there are lots of empty seats this time of year! I read that 275,000 people a day go through ATL. I think it will be a great year to drive ...

Last time I was in Atlanta Airport was that day that Delta's computer system crashed. The airport was like a refugee camp.
I can't think if another airport that would be worse than ATL without power.

What I never knew was that the Atlanta airport is the busiest in the WORLD.  That surprised me.

I know the freeway around Atlanta had more trucks than I've ever seen anywhere else in the country.

Remind me not to go to Atlanta, I don't do well in cities. ::) A few years ago friends tried to get out of Seattle which was snowed in, that turned into a nightmare too.

Juat imagine. If they made a call to Tesla, or a competitor, with all the roof space an air port has, and potential roof space (over parking lots) They would NEVER have a power outage

I sure felt sorry for those folks as my MH slipped almost silently by the airport UN-encumbered by the power outage. Slept in my own bed at the end of the day.

My heart goes out to all affected by this.  Hopefully, all be put back in order....soon. But, on a side note (and maybe a topic started to this topic) think if this were nationwide ( emp, massive solar flare, etc.). Has anyone thought about the potential ramifications? Put on your “thinking cap”!  How could you benefit or be hindered with the RV lifestyle?

Memtb said:
How could you benefit or be hindered with the RV lifestyle?

That's one reason why I always keep at least 1/2 tank of fuel in the rig. For me that's 75 gallons. If there is an issue with power due to weather, heat, or just bad luck, we are good to go for several days. Being from Ca and always hearing about having an "Earthquake Preparedness Kit", I always viewed the RV as our rolling emergency kit.

Someone indicated that the outage was due to an electrical fire that occurred in the area of the backup power systems.  Worse possible place for a fire!  What a mess!!!!  My Son is a pilot and flies through there regularly and is happy he was here visiting instead of working.  It'll be a mess all week.  Makes me glad we like to drive and very seldom fly.

Seeing all the planes lined up for takeoff was definitely more than I've seen elsewhere. Some of those planes were stuck on the tarmac for up to 6 hours. Glad I don't fly for a living anymore, although with all the domestic and international flights I took over many years, I don't recall flying into/out of Altanta.

I flew for 33 years,,, always my own aircraft and to smaller airports without the hassle of the big guys.  The security system was a glance around the ship, check the 9 in my belt, and slam the door!.>>>Dan

What amazed me with the whole thing, was that a fire in one location could knock out all the power in the airport. According to the evening news, they had triple redundancy for main power feeds. They must also have had emergency generators for the tower and terminals. How could a fire in one single location have done this? Must be some amazing engineering!

I vaguely recall reading that the fire also took out their emergency generators.

The manager of Denver International Airport announced that they will never have such a problem because they have a triple redundant power system.
[sigh]

Of course I still remember when they said they had no need of walkways between concourses, because the trains would never fail

Ever since 9/11 all air travel is horrible.

If only Clinton would have taken out Bin Laden when he had the chance in 1998.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom