I need a new Ford truck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vito55

I just saw a Ford ad on TV, featuring the trailer back-up feature. For people like me who have trouble backing up a trailer into a tight space this looks like the ultimate answer. My wife won't be  happy when I tell her we should trade in our new Dodge Durango, lost thousands of dollars, and spend even more on a truck that we really don't need, but boy, that back-up feature is cool!

Once upon a time, in an earlier version of this planet, I bought a brand new bright red Porsche for $4200, which likely would not cover the price of the tires and rims on one today.

Best grab that truck before the price goes up!

A little practice might save you a bunch of money.

A full blown trucking school is only about $1200 and they can teach your Grandmother to dock a semi.

I know I'm getting old, everyone tells me this constantly(and social security seems to agree), but every time I see one of those commercials where the vehicle parks itself, or the parent is teaching the kid to back the car using the back up camera instead of actually looking around it just pisses me off.  The other one that really gets my goat is the mom and dad and kid zooming through the mountains when the car saves them from rear ending an old '80's motor home stopped for a deer.
I learned to drive at 11...in a VW Beetle(manual trans)...on mountain 1.5 lane roads.  Towed my first RV(16' Aristocrat Land Commander TT)on the day I got my learners permit at 16.  By the time I got my full license 6 months later I could back a 8' wide U haul trailer into a 9' wide driveway in one shot(did it on a bet with my dad).
All this reliance on technology is fine, but I still think the kids should be taught to drive the old fashioned way.  I was an auto repair tech for far too long to believe all this stuff couldn't fail at some point, and then where would the kids be?
Alright, I'll quit now.  Thanks for letting me vent.

As far as the prices of new vehicles, I won't even go there.

vito55 said:
I just saw a Ford ad on TV, featuring the trailer back-up feature. For people like me who have trouble backing up a trailer into a tight space this looks like the ultimate answer. My wife won't be  happy when I tell her we should trade in our new Dodge Durango, lost thousands of dollars, and spend even more on a truck that we really don't need, but boy, that back-up feature is cool!

Not worth it. It works best on long relatively straight back-ins. If you have to make some sharp turns, forget it. Its also slow to engage and it has trouble locating the sticker on sunny days.

However, the newer BLIS system that works while towing is worth it so get out your check book and support the Dearborne economy.

The backup camera on the tailgate is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Makes backing up to hitch up the trailer so much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpgsKU6yQ8

Ford F-250 has a camera so you can watch your 5th wheel hook up.  If you have the money, Ford has the camera.

Badlands Bob said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpgsKU6yQ8

Ford F-250 has a camera so you can watch your 5th wheel hook up.  If you have the money, Ford has the camera.

My 2017 F350 dually has the camera system for the 5 th wheel and it works really well once you get used to it, plus the other 6 cameras but at $100,000 incl tax its  a lot to swallow .

Old_Crow said:
I know I'm getting old, everyone tells me this constantly(and social security seems to agree), but every time I see one of those commercials where the vehicle parks itself, or the parent is teaching the kid to back the car using the back up camera instead of actually looking around it just pisses me off.  The other one that really gets my goat is the mom and dad and kid zooming through the mountains when the car saves them from rear ending an old '80's motor home stopped for a deer.
I learned to drive at 11...in a VW Beetle(manual trans)...on mountain 1.5 lane roads.  Towed my first RV(16' Aristocrat Land Commander TT)on the day I got my learners permit at 16.  By the time I got my full license 6 months later I could back a 8' wide U haul trailer into a 9' wide driveway in one shot(did it on a bet with my dad).
All this reliance on technology is fine, but I still think the kids should be taught to drive the old fashioned way.  I was an auto repair tech for far too long to believe all this stuff couldn't fail at some point, and then where would the kids be?
Right on! Amen!

Maybe it's my deep seated trust issues that prevent me from turning that electronic monster loose and trusting it to back my RV into my camping spot and stop it in time to not drop it in the river that is burbling 20' below.  I fully trust my eyeballs working in conjunction with my right foot to not allow that to happen.

I learned how to back up a trailer when I was 14 or 15 years old.  Dad and I used to go fishing at this little power plant lake and the access road had a turn-a-round at the Top to be able to get your rig turned around, then it was a 1/3 mile, barely wide enough for the car and trailer, back down to the water and unload.  Dad always told me to learn by.....
1.  Using my mirrors
2.  Reference the bottom of the steering wheel and imagine an arrow pointing both left and right.  If you need to make the trailer go right ( towards the passenger side), move the bottom of the steering wheel to the right....and of course vice versa to go left.  I've done it for so long now, I really don't have to think about it anymore.....it's instinct.

I will say though, I really like that back up camera on the tailgate for lining up the hitch to the trailer....but I still have my D.W. guide me to exactly how far I need to back in to be centered over the ball on the hitch.

xrated said:
I learned how to back up a trailer when I was 14 or 15 years old.  Dad and I used to go fishing at this little power plant lake and the access road had a turn-a-round at the Top to be able to get your rig turned around, then it was a 1/3 mile, barely wide enough for the car and trailer, back down to the water and unload.  Dad always told me to learn by.....
1.  Using my mirrors
2.  Reference the bottom of the steering wheel and imagine an arrow pointing both left and right.  If you need to make the trailer go right ( towards the passenger side), move the bottom of the steering wheel to the right....and of course vice versa to go left.  I've done it for so long now, I really don't have to think about it anymore.....it's instinct.

I will say though, I really like that back up camera on the tailgate for lining up the hitch to the trailer....but I still have my D.W. guide me to exactly how far I need to back in to be centered over the ball on the hitch.

Me too maybe we are related lol

Old_Crow said:

As far as the prices of new vehicles, I won't even go there.
I'm right there with you. When my son (now in his thirties, teaching 7th grade math) was in the 4th grade, I asked his teacher to bear down on my son's spelling skills. The teacher replied, "I don't care too much about spelling. When these kids are grownups, they will all have spell checkers." I almost punched the dope.

According to JD Powers

the highest number of consumer complaints are "Technology errors" ....the more features a vehicle has,  the more complaints they have.

Some people say...K.I.S.S. . 

However...

I love those hidden folding foot steps they have built into the rocker panels on the new Ford Explorers... ;)

I'm not knocking the steps, sun roofs, automatic day/night mirrors, stuff like that.  What gets me is the stuff that replaces what, to me, should be basic driving skills.
I love the back up camera on my coach, but I still use the mirrors and a spotter when backing into a spot. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom