Need help buying a fifth wheeler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxaanaa

Hello everybody
Please give me some advice on buying a fifth wheeler cause me and hubby have no experience in this field .. What things should we look for ?? What brand is good?? Anything will help . .. We are a family of 4 , and would like something w a kitchen /shower outside .. to sleep at least 8 .. and not more than 50k for the price .. Thank you in advance

Lets start at the start.
Camped before?
Owned an RV before?
Tow vehicle size?
Type of RVing you do?
Fifth wheels are no different than a TT, but generslly require more truck as they place more weight on the truck.
Think used for starters.

Yes, we did camp before but in tents amd now with babies O am not so adventurous anymore.
Never owned an RV before
The towing vehicle is good .. Ford 250
Why a used first ?? .. I really don?t want one that somebody used it as a house or had pets ( due to allergies) .. so that?s why I am not sure about used ones

We would like to go in national parks, on the beach ..campgrounds .. anything that would take me out of town ?

Roxaanaa said:
Yes, we did camp before but in tents amd now with babies O am not so adventurous anymore.
Never owned an RV before
The towing vehicle is good .. Ford 250
Why a used first ?? .. I really don?t want one that somebody used it as a house or had pets ( due to allergies) .. so that?s why I am not sure about used ones

You take such a huge loss in depreciation when buying new. Also, it's well known that quality control of RV manufacturers is poor to say the least. Many people recommend buying used, especially for your first RV, because someone already has been through the process of fighting with dealers on getting warrantee work done.

It?s a diesel truck ... Makes sense what you are saying about the depreciation . Is it better to buy a used RV from private sellers or dealership??

Have a F-250 and just traded my Jayco TT on this.  Shopped around A LOT and for $50K, you can get just about anything out there.  Jayco white hawk and Keystone Cougar are my favorites and have pretty solid history and craftsmanship.  If you have the budget and enjoy camping, go for it.  Used is ok and save about $10K but harder to find what you love.  Paid $45K for 2018 344MKS. Weighs 10.5 and barley know its behind the truck when towing.

Attachments

• 518DB113-C23B-42E1-96CC-CE6F02C5B495.png
    518DB113-C23B-42E1-96CC-CE6F02C5B495.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 29
Was $45K out the door when left the dealership.  Live in NC and bought from a friend at Camping World in Myrtle Beach.  Have to pay the 3% sales tax in NC = $1,350 when I register it.  So $46,350 all said and done.  Keep in mind a 5th wheel hitch (slider) will run you anywhere between $1,500 and $2,000 installed.

First thing is what is YOUR truck able to pull.  I am not one of the experts on weights and towing but I question whether an F250 can pull the size of fifth wheel you want.  How many people,gear and weight will be in the truck?  I'm assuming some of the eight people are traveling in another vehicle?

Why used?  Depreciation.  More for your money.  Hopefully the kinks have been worked out and you can spend time vacationing in it instead of returning to the dealer for repairs.  You do want to know what to look for in a used unit,for sure.  There are plenty of lightly used units only a few years old. 

May I suggest checking out an RV show?  You can look at a lot without any pressure from salespeople. 

You probably think an F250 diesel can pull just about anything, but it simply isn't so. In fact, an F250 diesel probably limits you to a 5W of about 12,000 lbs max weight (GVWR), which means about a 30 footer. The problem is the 5W pin (hitch) weight, which runs about 20% of the loaded trailer weight, or about 2400 lbs on a 12,000 lb trailer. Few F250's can carry a 2400 lb payload and have enough capacity left for to carry the family too.

Before we get to deep into tow trucks, let's talk more about the trailer. Sleeping for even 4 probably means a bunk house type. Surely  sleeping 8 does! You need to look at some trailers that can do that and start thinking about your wants & needs before we get down to choosing a brand.  In a given price range there isn't much quality difference anyway. $50k isn't a big budget either, at least not for the size & amenities you probably need in a new trailer.

Ohh wow , for sure I am clueless :(..I really thought a F250 can pull about anything .. I will definetly pay attention to what you said ..

Your F250 can safely tow 12-14K depending on year.  Hitch weight is about 2.5K with 5th wheel.  Look at the RV sites and can get a feel for weights.  Keystonerv.com and Jayco list specs.  You can tow A LOT with it for what is out there.  They even make half ton towable (very heavy for 1/2 ton trucks) but great options for 3/4 ton.  Have a friend towing a 42 foot Montana with a 2016 F250 diesel and pulls it everywhere.  He is a full timer.  He is running 14K and no issues.  Lots of advice out there.

So I am looking for an RV to be comfortable in it with 2 babies.. and the option of extra sleeping for friends and family that want to travel with us .. I don?t care how the sleeping happens as long as it fits at least 8 people .. bike raks would be great , kitchen and shower outside .. a bathroom with bathtub

My Truck F250 is from 2013

http://www.keystonerv.com/buyers-guide/results?category=Fifth Wheels

Check out site.  Would suggest under 11K dry (leaves room for stuff), and around 2200 hitch. 

First, welcome to the Forum!  I am very glad you came here before spending money!  Lots of very good information above!

I suggest you spend a few months reading everything you can find on forums like this.  Look at the articles in our Library as well.  As you do, many questions will be answered and many more important questions raised.

As Rene said, used is very highly suggested.  Avoid the ones which were abused or had pets, etc.  I understand allergies and associated issues.  New campers may well have materials that need to outgas for a year or two before they are suitable for you.  Let the first owner get the factory problems fixed.  Save some money.  Reduce the financial pain if or when you trade or sell it.

I just bought a 8 year old gently used, well maintained FW for 38% of the original sale price.  It takes some time, but they are out there in the floor plan you want.

The truck may be an issue.  As you research, you will see lots of threads on weights and capacities.  F250, depending on the year and exact configuration, will have around 2500 lbs Payload or carrying capacity.  This may sound like a lot of weight, but it must include the FW pin wt (20% of actual loaded weight), the FW hitch (around 200#), the weight of all passengers, car seats, snacks, games and anything else carried in the truck.  A 12,000# FW means 2400# pin wt + 200# hitch, and your payload is gone before the DRIVER gets into the truck.

If you find a bumper pull TT bunk house, then this calculation is 10 - 12% of actual loaded weight, or 1450# for a 12,000# TT, plus 80# hitch, leaving 1000# for passengers and cargo.

Look at lots of styles and brands, new and used to get an idea of what is available and what you PERSONALLY like and dislike.

HAPPY HUNTING!

Back
Top Bottom