Class A towing a toad with four on the ground with a flat......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelers1407

I have a question for our Class A owners who tow a toad with four on the ground. If you are in between destinations and your toad happens to get a flat tire while enroute, can you feel this while driving the RV? If not and if not being able to notice anything out of the ordinary from your rear view camera, how else would you learn of the issue in question? Has anyone here had this happen?

I use a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, which gives me instantaneous warning upon a loss of pressure.

Has happene to me once. I knew it went flat... But I also had a TPMS and heard it blow.

An acquaintance had it happen. HE DID NOT feel it.  But then he was driving a prevost. I'm in a Damon Intruder.

If you are in between destinations and your toad happens to get a flat tire while enroute, can you feel this while driving the RV?
Almost surely NOT.

If not and if not being able to notice anything out of the ordinary from your rear view camera, how else would you learn of the issue in question?
Use a TPMS on the motorhome that also has sensors on the toad tires.

Has anyone here had this happen?
Yes, but fortunately we arrived at destination and noticed before the tire was totally flat.  Bought a TPMS shortly thereafter!, and have had one low pressure alarm on the toad since then.

I had it happen.  Right-rear got a bolt through the tread. I didn't know it had happened until someone waved me over to the shoulder. I didn't have a TPMS. I DO NOW.

It happened to us. Left front tire. Did not feel a thing. Someone pulled up beside us to give us a warning. Only the bead left on the tire and was working on the rim.

It occurs to me that without our TPMS, not only would we not know about a pressure loss, but it would likely be quite awhile before anyone else noticed it either. The run-flat tires on our toad are nominally rated to go 50 miles at 50 MPH with no damage. :)

I camped next to a couple with a Class Clast September. He had the donut spare on his toad and opened his trunk to show me what was left of the tire and rim.

He didn?t feel anything amiss.  A TPMS was to be his next purchase. I was sorry for his troubles but it reinforced that my new TPMS was a worthwhile investment.

Tom

You will not feel it.  We had a bolt go through the toad tire on an interstate in Tennessee.  Our TPMS alerted us.  It took about 1/4 mile to pull off onto the shoulder and the tire was almost flat in that short distance.

You definitely need a TPMS when towing.  If a tire goes flat and is not noticed it builds up heat which can cause it to start on fire.  There are examples of the toad catching fire and the fire moving forward into the motorhome.  When that happens the people are lucky to get out alive and the motorhome probably will be a total loss.

ArdraF

With all these testimonials in favor of a TPMS surely sales will skyrocket and the RV world will be much safer.  The need for ubiquitous deployment of TPMS can now be deemed to be so critically important that all RVs should be grounded until a TPMS has been installed.  In addition, quarterly inspections of each sensor and the display system should be required by the Federal DOT just as every airline passenger undergoes an inspection before boarding commercial airliners.  This, until, a satellite monitoring system can be deployed to continuously monitor every TPMS on every vehicle 24/7.

:)  :)    :)

Back
Top Bottom