Seized Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexramsey

My fairly new truck came with a Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch that is seized in the upright position, which obviously is a problem carrying plywood and such. Apparently the previous owner never turned it or removed it. I called the manufacturer and have used their recommendations to try to break it loose to no avail. I have sprayed it daily for about 2 weeks with PB Blaster and tried hammering it out from underneath and even tried an air hammer. I saw one post on another site that recommended jacking it out from underneath with a hydraulic jack but I can't see how to do that because the differential is directly underneath.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

“IF” the differential is directly beneath the ball, could you place something on top of differential ( to protect case if needed)and jack from there. Or, channel iron (or similar) across frame rails. “OR”....and I don’t know if this is even possible....turn bottle jack upside down, place cradle on top of differential, bottom against ball base, and attempt to jack. If you have access to a “porta-power”, many varieties of positions to work from/with!  Good Luck!

It may be bound up with sediment and not rust. If it were rust, or just seized, I would go to walmart and get some 100% Acetone (finger nail polish remover) and some automatic transmission fluid. Mix 50/50 and use that in place of the PB blaster. It saved me a $600.00 sewing machine repair the other day. It has gotten me out of a jam several times. Be sure to check the nail polish remover contents. It is normally the last bottle I pick up that is 100% acetone.

Welcome to the Forum!

Pure Acetone is often available in the paint dept.

It may sound a bit crazy, but please hear me through.  My Andersen Ultimate hitch attaches to the gooseneck ball, and is held quite firmly in place by first locking the ball in place, then pulling the Andersen frame down, tight to the bed by pulling up on the ball.  If you have a friend with this hitch, or can find one to borrow, "install" the hitch in your truck.  With your issue, it MAY pull the ball straight up and out.

Let us know how it works out.

i'm not at all familiar with that mechanism, so just blind brainstorming here...
but can you get a torch on the mechanism that you think is seized?  I know often a bit of heat applied to the right place can free up things....

But before I did all of that I'd really do some research on the mechanism....maybe just a latch you're unaware of.  Or maybe just a bit of upward or downward force on the ball to take strain off, then try operating whatever release or lock there is....

Back
Top Bottom