Albuquerque to Mission Viejo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Traveling west of the Mississippi in 2018
I'm at a standstill....

I'm looking for suggestions on which route to take from Albuquerque to Mission Viejo and where to stop/stay?

Looking at google maps, it appears to be a 13hr drive total, I'd like to break it up into 3 segments.

We are driving a Toy Hauler, we are artsy, like to see the history, small towns/communities, good food, don't want to be in the big city, no time limit.

What did you like on this route? What didn't you like?

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

Attachments

• Alb to Mission.JPG
    Alb to Mission.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 23
When are you going?  Keep the weather in mind. Albuquerque is about 5000 feet and Flagstaff is 7500 feet.

wackymac said:
When are you going?  Keep the weather in mind. Albuquerque is about 5000 feet and Flagstaff is 7500 feet.

May - Oct starting with our southern states (MN, UT, AX, CA first) Then up to Alaska mid-June for a month then back down thru MT, ID, WY.....

We already live at 8,000 so are familiar with 'temperamental' weather. But this is a good reminder for me to think if while we are traveling.

The Wayward Pioneer said:
May - Oct starting with our southern states (MN, UT, AX, CA first) Then up to Alaska mid-June for a month then back down thru MT, ID, WY.....

We already live at 8,000 so are familiar with 'temperamental' weather. But this is a good reminder for me to think if while we are traveling.
Unless this is the only extensive trip you will be taking for basically the rest of your life, I would rethink your travel plans.  A trip covering that much area will put you in vacation mode.  That is, gotta be here today, there tomorrow and the next place a couple of days later.  Not literally, but you are planning on far to much country to cover in 5 months. 

The May-Oct would be excellent for a comfortable trip to Alaska and back. 

Cross into Canada around May 1, then the AK Hwy for about 3 weeks to AK.  6 to 8 weeks in Alaska, plan on Denali NP in the first 2-3 weeks in June, fewer crowds, fewer bugs, decent chance of good weather for several days of a 10-14 day stay in Denali.  Only about 25% of visitors who spend 2-3 days in Denali get to see some of Mt Denali w/o some clouds.  Only about 10% get the see the mountain w/o any clouds.  Go up to Fairbanks for the Summer Solstice, down though Anchorage and then Homer & Seward for July.  Over to Valdez and McCarthy & Kennycott (sp?) mine.  From there back to Tok and the the Top Of The World Hwy to Dawson City.  Side trip To Tombstone Territorial Park in Yukon and and then down the Cassiar Hwy instead of the AK Hwy, with a stop in Stewart/Hyder.  In Sept & Oct work your way down to Jasper & Banff NP's. 

If you are interested, here is a link to our blog of our 2016 trip to AK (w/o Banff & Jasper): http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html

FYI...It would be wise to plan your arrival time to miss both  'Rush hours' ....7-10 am and 3-6 pm.  ( many times it's bumper to bumper traffic )

Those busy BMW drivers in So. Orange Country are less than understanding to people unfamiliar with the area,  and a turn-signal means nothing.

( :) life long O.C. boy )

AStravelers said:
Unless this is the only extensive trip you will be taking for basically the rest of your life, I would rethink your travel plans.  A trip covering that much area will put you in vacation mode.  That is, gotta be here today, there tomorrow and the next place a couple of days later.  Not literally, but you are planning on far to much country to cover in 5 months. 

The May-Oct would be excellent for a comfortable trip to Alaska and back. 

Cross into Canada around May 1, then the AK Hwy for about 3 weeks to AK.  6 to 8 weeks in Alaska, plan on Denali NP in the first 2-3 weeks in June, fewer crowds, fewer bugs, decent chance of good weather for several days of a 10-14 day stay in Denali.  Only about 25% of visitors who spend 2-3 days in Denali get to see some of Mt Denali w/o some clouds.  Only about 10% get the see the mountain w/o any clouds.  Go up to Fairbanks for the Summer Solstice, down though Anchorage and then Homer & Seward for July.  Over to Valdez and McCarthy & Kennycott (sp?) mine.  From there back to Tok and the the Top Of The World Hwy to Dawson City.  Side trip To Tombstone Territorial Park in Yukon and and then down the Cassiar Hwy instead of the AK Hwy, with a stop in Stewart/Hyder.  In Sept & Oct work your way down to Jasper & Banff NP's. 

If you are interested, here is a link to our blog of our 2016 trip to AK (w/o Banff & Jasper): http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html

Hi ASTravelers

Thanks for the info & suggestions. Believe it or not during my research I came across your blog and I have it bookmarked!! :)

This won't be our only "big" trip though isn't a vacation nor is it a leisurely adventure; I'd say it's more of a 'working' adventure.  We have a few cities/areas that we want to look at to see if it's somewhere we want to live. We have already done a lot of on-line research of these areas now we just need to visit them for a week or so (while hitting other places real quick 2 ? 4 nights, and put them on the list to see if we want to go back for a longer visit in the future). 

We are in CO now and want to move. We are selling everything then ?sailing ship? to look for where we are going to plant our forever-roots.

After that and we are settled, we will travel more, and at a slower pace. 

We plan to leave CO April 2018 (May 1st the latest) as logistically we have a lot to do (which we?ve already have several pieces of the move puzzle in process) before we leave.

Here are links to our Instagram, Facebook and Website we would love it if you?d follow us; we will be documenting our adventure daily (links in signature).

Thanks for having such a great blog and responding to my post!!!

Welcome to the fulltime or long time RV traveler community.  It is a great adventure. 

It is possible that you could find that you enjoy the traveling enough to not need to put down roots.  Some do other don't. 

We did the fulltime travels for 4 1/2 years then bought a house to more easily spend time with grand kids, only to find that 2 years later the parents moved 2300 miles away. (San Antonio to Portland, OR)  We have spent the last 6 summers going to Oregon to spend time with the grand kids.  All is well.  They love Oregon much more than Texas. 

Best of luck in locating a place to put down roots. 

Going to send you a PM with some suggestions.

AStravelers said:
It is possible that you could find that you enjoy the traveling enough to not need to put down roots.  Some do other don't. 

Yes! I worry but not worry about that. Right now I feel like we need 'roots' since we aren't retiring yet.
But if it's in our cards to travel the great outdoors forever then that's what we will do.
I wish April was here so we could go!!!!

Back
Top Bottom