EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Double towing  (Read 1360 times)

Fedexpsd

Double towing
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »
We will be either buying a 5 wheel or a TT. Would like to tow a Tj jeep behind it. Will it tow ok behind each? I have a F350 dually tow vehicle

Jim Godward

• ---
Re: Double towing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:36:28 PM »
We will be either buying a 5 wheel or a TT. Would like to tow a Tj jeep behind it. Will it tow ok behind each? I have a F350 dually tow vehicle
Check with the states you will be traveling, CA requires a CDL with dual endorsement, Montana only allows a small boat to be double towed and many states do not allow at all.  Check carefully to understand the rules.

Also check with the trailer manufacturer as the trailer chassis may not be strong enough to allow that much weight to be towed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:38:09 PM by Jim Godward »
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 06:43:20 PM »
Along with Jim's good advice, most states that do allow doubles require that the first towed unit is a 5th wheel.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »
Both are very correct.  Rules vary by state.  Like speed limits, the state you are in sets the rules there, not the state your drivers license was issued in.  Google State Towing Laws.   

Here is one such link.     http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

You could go with a toy hauler and carry the Jeep inside.  I looked at doing that for my Miata.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 12:34:32 AM »
Where do you live?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »
More to the point - Why? Would you want to tow a Jeep - for offroading? Or to drive when stopped somewhere? Why i ask is because maybe if for off roading you should be looking at a toy hauler or a camper for the truck and a large flat deck for the Jeep. Or just forget driving the Jeep?
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity -DRKHORZ

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:00:49 AM »
Let me be the first. Welcome to the forum.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Fedexpsd

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »
Thanks for the replyís. We live in Memphis Tn and going to Yellowstone or Tetons to work from
April to October, pulling the jeep for a daily driver. We will be shuffling grand children in out out all summer plus will be having lots of friends visit. Wanting to stay in the $20,000 field. Iíve have no idea what I need? Need to sleep at least 6 comfortably, this once a year trip is probably all we will Use it, but itís a 5 month trip. Iím a retired mechanic but not t looking for work. Lol. Thanks so much for any advise

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »
To sleep 6 you probably need to look at a Class B   C  RV and drag the Jeep as a toad.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:21:57 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montrťal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
Thanks for the replyís. We live in Memphis Tn and going to Yellowstone or Tetons to work from
April to October, pulling the jeep for a daily driver. We will be shuffling grand children in out out all summer plus will be having lots of friends visit. Wanting to stay in the $20,000 field. Iíve have no idea what I need? Need to sleep at least 6 comfortably, this once a year trip is probably all we will Use it, but itís a 5 month trip. Iím a retired mechanic but not t looking for work. Lol. Thanks so much for any advise

Rather than chance something bad happening to that 'train' I would suggest you have your significant other drive the Jeep.  It may take you an extra day or two but with the 5ver you could always have a place to rest the extra driver if needed.  Since it is only once in 5 months I would not bother to take the risk of driving doubles regardless of the law but because if you have never done it you will find it is a whole new world on the highways and in winds.  JMHO

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
To sleep 6 you probably need to look at a Class B RV

Did you really mean Class B?   Class B motorhomes are barely able to sleep two, let alone 6. ???
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »
To sleep 6 you probably need to look at a Class B RV and drag the Jeep as a toad.

Stu, have you had your 4th cup of coffee yet?   ;D :D ;)  Really, a Class B.   :o ::) :'(
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
Did you really mean Class B?   Class B motorhomes are barely able to sleep two, let alone 6. ???

No, I meant to type a Class C!!! (corrected)....
Stu
Montrťal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »
Stu, have you had your 4th cup of coffee yet?   ;D :D ;)  Really, a Class B.   :o ::) :'(

Nope, barely finished the one!!! Corrected my error..... Thanks for waking me up!! :P
Stu
Montrťal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida

Fedexpsd

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 10:40:53 AM »
The only thing about a class A is maintenance on the power train and tires. If I tow something I wouldnít really donít need a jeep, I can  get around
With my tow vehicle, question now is whatís best value? a fivers or a TT, me and Wife need to be able separate a little. Lol. A class C is too small. Last summer we rented a 32í class c for 10 days and we would kill each other in that configuration, What one is the best value. Iíve pulled trailers all my life so Iím comfortable pulling either. Thanks for your help.

QZ

• ---
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
Without many details I'd say it may be one of those things that you can do but do you really want to and I do double tow. I'd also probably recommend that someone drive it. Most of the items I see behind FW are usually boats which are not real heavy, motorcycles, quads and sxs on utility trailers. I'd also guesstimate that what I see is probably around 2500 pounds or less. You also need to consider the cost of brake activation, tow rigging etc.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »
...me and Wife need to be able separate a little. Lol.

A few years ago we met a couple with a large 5th wheel being pulled by a GMC MDT. They also had a scooter on the back of the 5th wheel and a Jeep. I asked if he double towed and he said no and then joked "We are together all the time - we need SOME time apart".
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »
You may wish to start a new thread about the type of camper.

Visit lots of dealers and look at as many units as your knees can handle.  Include Class A Bunk house, and lots of FW and TT including bunk house and TH models.  In a fairly short time, some styles and floor plans will eliminate themselves.  Some options will scream MUST HAVE!  while others may scream NO WAY.

Ask lots of questions and enjoy the search.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 12:14:33 AM »
Fedexpsd said "Last summer we rented a 32í class c for 10 days and we would kill each other in that configuration"

We have a sign in our window that says:

We get along in our RV. There's no room to disagree.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

GA_Boy

• ---
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »
I towed this for a few years. 31,800# and 72'10" long.  You should have no problem. Probably illegal in most states
but I was never pulled over.  We were full time working in the lower 48.  I'm sure the weight Police will chime in. ;D
Marvin
  http://tinypic.com/m/k36o9l/4

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:23:56 PM by GA_Boy »

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo With Ami the Chi-cha
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
Rather than chance something bad happening to that 'train' I would suggest you have your significant other drive the Jeep.  It may take you an extra day or two but with the 5ver you could always have a place to rest the extra driver if needed.  Since it is only once in 5 months I would not bother to take the risk of driving doubles regardless of the law but because if you have never done it you will find it is a whole new world on the highways and in winds.  JMHO

Bill

And stopping for fuel can be a real adventure.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

"The trouble with people isn't that they don't know, but that they know so much that ain't so."

QZ

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »
With having a diesel, even before I double towed and with the tight design of many gas stations I usually went to a truck stop. Now that I double tow I just about always go to a truck stop. Downside of truck lanes is they are sometimes filthy but there is usually room to park for lunch etc. Trying to approach a gas station and see where to go and judge the amount of room to get through it was extremely  stressful. No room for errors or I'd be disconnecting and trying to push and maneuver 2500 lbs of toys. 

If you do go to truck lanes have your stuff together so you can get in and out fast.  I got a pilot card so I could quit having to go inside to pay first. Truck lanes wouldn't take my CC.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
Another problem with trying to use the truck lanes is many have high speed nozzles.  They're made to fill the saddle tanks on large trucks where they're inserted directly into the tank.

The flow is too fast to use on pickup trucks unless the tank filler has been modified to take the faster flow.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:06:12 PM by Lou Schneider »

QZ

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 08:57:10 PM »
Another problem with trying to use the truck lanes is many have high speed nozzles.  They're made to fill the saddle tanks on large trucks where they're inserted directly into the tank.

The flow is too fast to use on pickup trucks unless the tank filler has been modified to take the faster flow.

I learned about that when I had fuel all over the place. Some nozzles are worst than others but it's often touchy and you cant even lock onto the first notch.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 06:18:43 AM »
I learned about that when I had fuel all over the place. Some nozzles are worst than others but it's often touchy and you cant even lock onto the first notch.
Since I have a gas engine I don't use the truck lanes but do have the same problem in that in about 80 percent of the pumps I cannot even get to the first notch for filling so I have to manually hold the darn pump handle for what seems like hours.  I have checked all the venting, etc, but find no problem.  Just the nature of the beast with my coach.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 16 mos

BigSkyTrailerGuy

• ---
  • Love your country, but fear your government
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »
I know here in WA state, pulling a "triple train" is illegal... thank heaven.  Check the states you plan on traveling through.

Editorial comment:  coming from Montana, I'd see these long vacation units made up of a pickup filled with kids and dog, a 'yuge' 5th wheel toy hauler, and a 19' ski boat caboosing it all, winding and swerving past me up a hill on the interstate at 70mph like the tail on an out-of-control kite --  I'd think  " dude, you call that a vacation???!"  My blood pressure would be boiling! 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:07:39 PM by BigSkyTrailerGuy »