Double towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fedexpsd

We will be either buying a 5 wheel or a TT. Would like to tow a Tj jeep behind it. Will it tow ok behind each? I have a F350 dually tow vehicle

Fedexpsd said:
We will be either buying a 5 wheel or a TT. Would like to tow a Tj jeep behind it. Will it tow ok behind each? I have a F350 dually tow vehicle
Check with the states you will be traveling, CA requires a CDL with dual endorsement, Montana only allows a small boat to be double towed and many states do not allow at all.  Check carefully to understand the rules.

Also check with the trailer manufacturer as the trailer chassis may not be strong enough to allow that much weight to be towed.

Both are very correct.  Rules vary by state.  Like speed limits, the state you are in sets the rules there, not the state your drivers license was issued in.  Google State Towing Laws. 

Here is one such link.    http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm

You could go with a toy hauler and carry the Jeep inside.  I looked at doing that for my Miata.

More to the point - Why? Would you want to tow a Jeep - for offroading? Or to drive when stopped somewhere? Why i ask is because maybe if for off roading you should be looking at a toy hauler or a camper for the truck and a large flat deck for the Jeep. Or just forget driving the Jeep?

Thanks for the reply?s. We live in Memphis Tn and going to Yellowstone or Tetons to work from
April to October, pulling the jeep for a daily driver. We will be shuffling grand children in out out all summer plus will be having lots of friends visit. Wanting to stay in the $20,000 field. I?ve have no idea what I need? Need to sleep at least 6 comfortably, this once a year trip is probably all we will Use it, but it?s a 5 month trip. I?m a retired mechanic but not t looking for work. Lol. Thanks so much for any advise

To sleep 6 you probably need to look at a Class B   C  RV and drag the Jeep as a toad.

Fedexpsd said:
Thanks for the reply?s. We live in Memphis Tn and going to Yellowstone or Tetons to work from
April to October, pulling the jeep for a daily driver. We will be shuffling grand children in out out all summer plus will be having lots of friends visit. Wanting to stay in the $20,000 field. I?ve have no idea what I need? Need to sleep at least 6 comfortably, this once a year trip is probably all we will Use it, but it?s a 5 month trip. I?m a retired mechanic but not t looking for work. Lol. Thanks so much for any advise

Rather than chance something bad happening to that 'train' I would suggest you have your significant other drive the Jeep.  It may take you an extra day or two but with the 5ver you could always have a place to rest the extra driver if needed.  Since it is only once in 5 months I would not bother to take the risk of driving doubles regardless of the law but because if you have never done it you will find it is a whole new world on the highways and in winds.  JMHO

Bill

Alfa38User said:
To sleep 6 you probably need to look at a Class B RV and drag the Jeep as a toad.

Stu, have you had your 4th cup of coffee yet?  ;D :D ;)  Really, a Class B.  :eek: ::) :'(

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Did you really mean Class B?  Class B motorhomes are barely able to sleep two, let alone 6. ???

No, I meant to type a Class C!!! (corrected)....

Rene T said:
Stu, have you had your 4th cup of coffee yet?  ;D :D ;)  Really, a Class B.  :eek: ::) :'(

Nope, barely finished the one!!! Corrected my error..... Thanks for waking me up!! :p

The only thing about a class A is maintenance on the power train and tires. If I tow something I wouldn?t really don?t need a jeep, I can  get around
With my tow vehicle, question now is what?s best value? a fivers or a TT, me and Wife need to be able separate a little. Lol. A class C is too small. Last summer we rented a 32? class c for 10 days and we would kill each other in that configuration, What one is the best value. I?ve pulled trailers all my life so I?m comfortable pulling either. Thanks for your help.

Without many details I'd say it may be one of those things that you can do but do you really want to and I do double tow. I'd also probably recommend that someone drive it. Most of the items I see behind FW are usually boats which are not real heavy, motorcycles, quads and sxs on utility trailers. I'd also guesstimate that what I see is probably around 2500 pounds or less. You also need to consider the cost of brake activation, tow rigging etc.

Fedexpsd said:
...me and Wife need to be able separate a little. Lol.

A few years ago we met a couple with a large 5th wheel being pulled by a GMC MDT. They also had a scooter on the back of the 5th wheel and a Jeep. I asked if he double towed and he said no and then joked "We are together all the time - we need SOME time apart".

You may wish to start a new thread about the type of camper.

Visit lots of dealers and look at as many units as your knees can handle.  Include Class A Bunk house, and lots of FW and TT including bunk house and TH models.  In a fairly short time, some styles and floor plans will eliminate themselves.  Some options will scream MUST HAVE!  while others may scream NO WAY.

Ask lots of questions and enjoy the search.

Fedexpsd said "Last summer we rented a 32? class c for 10 days and we would kill each other in that configuration"

We have a sign in our window that says:

We get along in our RV. There's no room to disagree.

Fedexpsd said:
I towed this for a few years. 31,800# and 72'10" long.  You should have no problem. Probably illegal in most states
but I was never pulled over.  We were full time working in the lower 48.  I'm sure the weight Police will chime in. ;D
Marvin
  http://tinypic.com/m/k36o9l/4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom