Diesel Algae Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mile High

In the Colorado cold over the winter - anyone worry about algae in the diesel when stored, and if so do you use an additive?

You should have no problems in Colorado,, the problem areas are in the south east where the moisture is high ,, cold and dry climates are good for diesel fuel if stored properly.>>>Dan

If your tank is full and you're going to use it within 6 months, I'd say you're fine.  If it's even 3/4 full or it will sit longer, I would put in a biocide or some other additive to prevent/kill algae. 

Nasty stuff to get rid of.

Agree with the others - algae should not be a problem in high & dry Colorado.

If you will want to start the engine during the winter, you might consider an anti-gel additive. It helps the diesel fuel flow at low temperatures.

Thanks all.  It's parked in a garage with a dirt floor, and in the winter it does build up frost on the outside of the coach, to the point it will obscure the windshield enough I have to scrape it.  However I have never found frost inside.  Am I still OK not using anything, or would that frost potentially build up inside the tank as well?  I keep the tank full to the top.

This will be my second year and I did not have any issues last year so I'm all for "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but I have hear about how tough it is to get rid of.

I've been keeping diesel in full tanks every winter starting at the end of 2012, and there's not yet been a hint of a problem. I'm in Westminster.

Back
Top Bottom