EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: head lights adjustment  (Read 291 times)

halfwright

• ---
head lights adjustment
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »
   OK, you engineer types, I have a problem for you to solve. I have not driven at night for several years because of eye problems, but that is behind me now.  What I want is a quick easy way to adjust the headlights so they will not be too high with the 5th wheel attached.  But, since I will also do night driving  without the trailer, they need to return to the original position. No, I do not want the expense of rear air bags.

I was thinking of a dual lobe cam. Or a pair of stops on the adjusting screw. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas on how to do it?
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

steveblonde

• ---
Re: head lights adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »
If your truck is sagging that much your headlights air searching the sky - should probably be looking for a new truck as with that much weight on the rear your steering is light - as is the front end which is compromising the braking which is a safety hazzard.
Air bags are only a couple hundred bucks installed if you just want the valves plumbed out the rear and you can add from there. My complete set up with on board compressor and gauges is only about $1000
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:31:43 PM by steveblonde »
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

cpaulsen

• ---
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 05:44:40 AM »
Time to get either air bags or Timbrens and keep that rear end level. Adjusting headlights all the time would be a huge pain!!
2008 Ford F250/CC/SB/V-10/2018 Montana 330RL

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:51:33 AM »
  Agree on the air bags for rear suspension. My Dodge was “SO” soft on the rear end....had to drive on low beam at night to see the road. It rode really great unloaded, but, I bought a truck... “not” a luxury car! I had to go to brights, as “to not” blind oncoming traffic. One trip....and bags were ordered. Best thing I’ve done to our tow vehicle! This may not apply to you, but.... as we tow several different trailers with different pin weights/tongue weights, we would be “forever” adjusting headlights.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:50:19 AM by Memtb »
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

Hosted by Over The Network