head lights adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfwright

OK, you engineer types, I have a problem for you to solve. I have not driven at night for several years because of eye problems, but that is behind me now.  What I want is a quick easy way to adjust the headlights so they will not be too high with the 5th wheel attached.  But, since I will also do night driving  without the trailer, they need to return to the original position. No, I do not want the expense of rear air bags.

I was thinking of a dual lobe cam. Or a pair of stops on the adjusting screw. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas on how to do it?

If your truck is sagging that much your headlights air searching the sky - should probably be looking for a new truck as with that much weight on the rear your steering is light - as is the front end which is compromising the braking which is a safety hazzard.
Air bags are only a couple hundred bucks installed if you just want the valves plumbed out the rear and you can add from there. My complete set up with on board compressor and gauges is only about $1000

Time to get either air bags or Timbrens and keep that rear end level. Adjusting headlights all the time would be a huge pain!!

Agree on the air bags for rear suspension. My Dodge was “SO” soft on the rear end....had to drive on low beam at night to see the road. It rode really great unloaded, but, I bought a truck... “not” a luxury car! I had to go to brights, as “to not” blind oncoming traffic. One trip....and bags were ordered. Best thing I’ve done to our tow vehicle! This may not apply to you, but.... as we tow several different trailers with different pin weights/tongue weights, we would be “forever” adjusting headlights.

Back
Top Bottom