12V Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gilardi

Hi, I'm new to the RVing world, bought us a 2015 Starcraft Autum Ridge. Been living here for 4 months, and just now we start having electrical problems. I've read other topics with similar issues, but I can't find the common fixture. To what I have read, my 120V works fine, just not my 12V (thermostat, inside lighting, signal booster...) when I turn on a light inside, it's very dimmed. Could it be the Converter, a ground cable, please help. Thank you

Do you have a voltmeter?

Have you checked your battery connections and is there water in the battery cells?

Are you at an RV park and is the power panel you are plugged into working correctly.

Welcome to the Forum!

I assume you are plugged into shore power.  If everything is working properly, your converter / inverter will provide 12VDC to keep the battery charged and run "stuff".  If you check the battery, and it is indeed low (almost certain it is), check if there is a blown circuit breaker feeding the converter or a blown in line fuse between the converter and battery.  Find the converter and check output voltage.

Look for the cheap fix issues first!.  It may be a bad converter, but make sure first!

grashley said:
Welcome to the Forum!

I assume you are plugged into shore power.  If everything is working properly, your converter / inverter will provide 12VDC to keep the battery charged and run "stuff".  If you check the battery, and it is indeed low (almost certain it is), check if there is a blown circuit breaker feeding the converter or a blown in line fuse between the converter and battery.  Find the converter and check output voltage.

Look for the cheap fix issues first!.  It may be a bad converter, but make sure first!

To check the convertor, stay plugged into shore power, then remove the negative wire from the battery. Then check the output of the convertor but using a Volt meter on the 2 battery cables. At the same time, check the voltage of your battery. The reason I say to disconnect the negative cable, is that when working around the positive battery post with tools, there's no chance of shorting out the battery and having a possible explosion. Leaving the cable hooked up and taking a reading may be telling you what the voltage of the battery is if the convertor is not working.

Back
Top Bottom