Sway Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broke Boater

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a bigger T/C then I presently have,, a older 9.6 Lance no slide to something around 10.5' with a slide . My 12' 3500 Ram Dually crew cab is a beast of a truck, but I'll still be adding a Hellwig heavy duty sway bar and air bags, but not at the same time. I want to help with any sway issues first and load level second. The sway bar seems to be the logical choice, but never had air bags on anything except my Harley, so I don't know how they help on a truck combating sway. Also do I need to get the sway bar with part number that is for factory air bags, to make room for the after market air bags? I am I thinking right? on which first to do,,,gregg

We just purchased in July a 2017 Eagle Cap 1165 (3-slides), so I have an idea on this.  My suggestion would be to do nothing until you get your TC and have a chance to try it, see how your truck sits with the TC on and how it performs, then look to correct any problems, if any you experience.  Too often the tendency is to jump in with all feet and throw all sorts of corrections for problems that may not exist and thus spend more money than you need and in the process may not make the best choices for a given problem.  So far in my experience, the only enhancement we have needed, is the factory air suspension that our truck came equipped with, but other than that the truck has handled the TC well.  In my case the Hellwig bars are not an option, even if I felt I needed them because they will not fit with the factory air system I have, this according to Hellwig.  If the TC you are considering is a heavy one and I were to do anything first it would be either a air suspension (best choice) or Timbrens for a less expensive option.  Reason being is if the truck squats too much under the weight of the TC you will want to raise it that is a definite.  As we get more mileage with our rig things may become more apparent or change and then we will address them accordingly.  Best of luck with your purchase. 

Thanks for that. I don't think squatting going to be too much of a issue, trying to stay in the <3700lb neighborhood. I would like a good stable feeling driving over the coastal range to some of the remote harbors we go to. Some of the turns are pretty sharp,  I can almost read my own lic. plate on a few of them. Your experience with your truck and TC is good to know since it looks like we have similar trucks. Merry Christmas,,,gregg

You are welcome.  Just to give you a better idea, our TC weighs in loaded at about 5K give or take a few pounds and the truck does squat and the factory airbags takes care of it quite nicely.  While driving, because of the weight and more specifically the height of the TC I can feel it, but not uncomfortable and far from a white knuckle driving experience.  I keep my speeds to no more than 55-60mph and when exiting an interstate I slow to the suggested ramp speeds, particularly the sharp and decreasing radius turns.  On a couple of occasions I did not slow to the suggested ramp speed and the truck handled the turns without a problem and with no worry to us.  As far as braking the truck has handled it well also, never felt like, oh crap I am not going to be able to stop and in one situation I had a guy in front of me stop unexpectedly and for no apparent reason and I was the truck stopped this heavy load with grace.

I would go with the biggest sway bar Hellwig makes for your truck and see how it handles before adding airbags. Not sure about your question regarding which one to order concerning compatibility with airbags. Something to ask Hellwig. I have Firestone airbags and Hellwig Big Wig sway bar on my F350. Had no issues with interference. Really eliminated a lot of the sway. I think Dodge has a beefier suspension than Ford, so you may be fine with just the sway bar.

Back
Top Bottom