Temperatures settings on oven out of wack.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
We have a Wedgewood Vision combination stove top with a oven. I've got a thermometer inside the oven trying to monitor the temperatures. Today, we set the thermostat to 325 and 30 minutes later, we opened the door and found that it was 400 degrees inside. Is there any way to adjust some setting in order to get the actual temps inside the oven to come a little close to what the dial is set to?

If you have the same oven control our Vision has, there's a small adjustment screw in the center of the control shaft when you remove the knob. It can be adjusted with a small screwdriver if it's not frozen by corrosion. Ours was off by about 50 degrees, but I managed to get it accurate within about 5 degrees after numerous adjustments and retesting.

NY_Dutch said:
If you have the same oven control our Vision has, there's a small adjustment screw in the center of the control shaft when you remove the knob. It can be adjusted with a small screwdriver if it's not frozen by corrosion. Ours was off by about 50 degrees, but I managed to get it accurate within about 5 degrees after numerous adjustments and retesting.

Dutch, do you remember if turning it clockwise will raise or lower the temps?

Same Problem, NO adjustment (Stupid design) WOund up putting a P-Touch label on the face (Well the top above the dial) with the correction on it so I set it properly for the temp I want,

Rene T said:
Dutch, do you remember if turning it clockwise will raise or lower the temps?

I'm thinking that counter-clockwise lowered the temp, and clockwise raised it, but it's been a few years and many lost brain cells since I did it, so don't hold me to that... ;)

I just remember my over is about 50 degrees cooler than the set temperature and live with it. For a 350 degree bake, I just set it on 400. I used an oven thermometer for quite a while to confirm that, but when the thermometer fell over one last time, I threw it away and just do it in my head.

Ours was off, so I put a oven thermometer in there and used it to see how far off ours was.  I checked the oven thermometer in the oven of our stick house, which Betty thinks cooks about right.  Once I'd compared how the dial setting vs the actual temperature.  I made a chart with the corrections, which is taped inside one of the cabinet doors.

The best improvement we did, as a result of the discussions on this Forum, was the addition of a Stoneware Oven tile.  It really evened out the heat and greatly improved the distribution of heat within the oven.

NY_Dutch said:

You were right Dutch. I pulled the knob off and didn't see any screw at first. Just a bunch of white silicone in the hole. I dug it all out an low and behold, way down the bottom was a slotted screw head. I turned it clockwise a little bit more than 90 degrees to lower the temperature. This brought the temps down too much. I turned it counterclockwise jut maybe 10 degrees and it came out perfect. All I need to do now is fill the hole back up with silicone.  Thanks Dutch.

Rene T said:
You were right Dutch. I pulled the knob off and didn't see any screw at first. Just a bunch of white silicone in the hole. I dug it all out an low and behold, way down the bottom was a slotted screw head. I turned it clockwise a little bit more than 90 degrees to lower the temperature. This brought the temps down too much. I turned it counterclockwise jut maybe 10 degrees and it came out perfect. All I need to do now is fill the hole back up with silicone.  Thanks Dutch.

That's great, Rene! I'm glad it worked well for you. Mine didn't have the silicone "plug" though, so I'll have to remember that the next time the problem comes up and I jump in...

This seems a common complaint - I don't think the Atwood/Wedgewood stove factory calibrates the dial at all and the RV manufacturer surely does not. Every one of the four we owned was off 30-50 degrees.

The Amana range in our 2004 American Tradition was much better, but we replaced that a cooktop only (no oven) to gain more cabinet space. The GE convection over worked so much better anyway.

Just used the oven for the first time in 2 weeks. Set the thermostat to 350 and a short time later the thermometer read 350 degrees . SOOOO happy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom