Safe to move FW with 6 year old tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grasshopper

We finally bought our first RV! It's a 2012 Dutchmen Infinity 39' with original tires. We're planning on moving it tomorrow from the previous owner's storage to our storage, about 80 miles. The RV never traveled, it was delivered to a campground where it remained until it was moved to storage. The tires "look" fine, but we're concerned about their age. Any insight on best practices in moving the RV? We're replacing the tires once we get the RV into our storage. Thanks in advance!

Check the air pressure, and drive slowly. You may want to carry a spare or two if possible.

Make sure the brake linkage is free on all wheels as well. All that sitting could very well result in the linkage rusting and hanging up, resulting in dragging or ineffective brakes.

Check pressures and roll on.
If there is no visible cracking and they are holding air, I would not worry in the least.

You're right to be nervous.  6 years is stretching it for trailer tires that are treated well.  Sitting in one spot for all that time is not good.

The problem with carrying multiple spares is that it does nothing to protect your new trailer from the damage a tire failure can do.

80 freeway miles maybe not so worrisome.  But if your route is through mountains, backroads, bumpy roads or heavy traffic how lucky do you feel?

I have some experience in this area.  We were towing a trailer to Nevada where the buyer was going to take possession.  It's tires were 7-8 years old and looked perfect.  Yep.  Blew a tire, tore up the wheel well, broke a gas line, and totally destroyed the plastic fender. The buyer still wanted it, but at a reduced price of course.  It was a hard to find Arctic Fox with a door on both sides.  (I've never seen another one like it)

I would not want to go cross country on those tires, but 6 year old id not really in the Danger category.  Make sure they are properly inflated, and stop to check them at about 10 miles and again at 40 miles, just to make sure!

Brakes may be a bigger issue.  As you pull out of storage check if the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) alone will stop the camper.  Adjust gain as needed.  If they work as expected, GREAT!  If not, carefully continue home.  The truck brakes will stop you, it just takes longer.  Leave lots of following distance.

Take it slow and easy.

I would not be too concerned. I would not exceed 55 MPH and keep one eye on the road and the other in your rear view mirror. You should be fine.  Famous last words.

Slow is a key word here.  Don't go the maximum speed limit because they are "iffy" tires from sitting so long.  Agree that you should stop frequently to check them, especially at the start.  Also be aware of other drivers around you who may look alarmed and perhaps are trying to get your attention.  If that happens pull off immediately!  I think I'd also stay in the slower lanes in case I had to make a fast exit.  Good luck!

ArdraF

The trailer is empty, no?  If so, it's at least a thousand pounds lighter than it will be when it's loaded for a trip.  That means you won't be stressing the tires and suspension nearly as much as you will when fully loaded.

One trick is to take it slow for the first couple of miles to let everything break in and get used to moving again.  Don't just hop on the freeway and go, drive it around a bit at reduced speeds to let the tires get used to flexing again, let the grease flow around the wheel bearings, etc.  After a couple of miles pull over and make sure all of the tires are holding pressure, the brakes aren't dragging, etc.

I wouldn't worry about towing it 80 miles to another storage spot on old tires, but I would replace them, grease the wheel bearings and do a full brake and suspension inspection before you head out in the spring.

The UV from sunlight contributes to the aging process of tires.  If the tires were covered, especially on the side exposed to the sun, the risk is lower.  If they were not covered and they were exposed to 6 years of sunlight, might behove you to inspect the tires carefully.

I think I'd try it and keep the speed down to 55. I had two tires blow out on a trailer at about the same time years ago.

When the first tire went flat (I didn't know it blew) the trailer started swaying a bit. We were crossing Nevada and I thought wind was blowing it around and then the second tire went and caused severe swaying and the tire was smoking by the time I pulled over. Had to spray it with the tiny RVIA approved fire extinguisher. I now carry five fire extinguishers due to that incident.

So while you are towing that new trailer if you start feeling sway pull over and check them.

Another thing I would do is get an IR gun and check your brake temperatures to make sure you don't have a brake dragging and also check your bearing temperatures. Shoot your tires too and they should all be about the same temperature give or take 5 degrees and which side is getting the sun. 

i think I'd get the wheel bearings repacked when you get tires. 

Let us know how you make out.

Arch Hoagland said:
So while you are towing that new trailer if you start feeling sway pull over and check them.

Don't wait for that. I've had a couple of blowouts and didn't feel any sway at all. The first one a guy passing me motioned for me to stop and the second, my TPMS told me.

Very good!  We like that type of outcome!  Have fun with your new toy and have a great year ahead.

ArdraF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom