Need advice on Ford F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Appreciate all the NASA mathematicians in the forum and concern.  I did the math before dropping $112K. Curb weight of my truck is 6478. Truck is good.

BTW, I owned a F150 (which would have worked with the 1st 5W I orginally bought).  With 1/2 ton towable 5W, you pay more for less.  My choice to get the F250 was because for $5k more of price for 29ft cougar HT, I could get hell of alot more camper which required the F250.  To me, it made more sense and the truck is pretty badass.

Been towing 30 years fellas.  Thanks for the inputs, but not gonna change a thing for me.

Happy travels.

ammotroop1991 said:
Appreciate all the NASA mathematicians in the forum and concern.  I did the math before dropping $112K. Curb weight of my truck is 6478. Truck is good.

BTW, I owned a F150 (which would have worked with the 1st 5W I orginally bought).  With 1/2 ton towable 5W, you pay more for less.  My choice to get the F250 was because for $5k more of price for 29ft cougar HT, I could get hell of alot more camper which required the F250.  To me, it made more sense and the truck is pretty badass.

Been towing **** 30 years fellas.  Thanks for the inputs, but not gonna change a thing for me.

Happy travels.

You have obviously NOT weighed your truck and are going by the Ford guide.  Further, the number you posted shows that you looked in the wrong column.  You were looking at the weight for the truck with the gas engine....not the diesel that you have.  Depending on the length of the bed, you ARE around 7300 lbs or 7600 lbs.....but NOT 6478 lbs.  And again....what's the payload number on your actual truck?

ammotroop1991 said:

Been towing **** 30 years fellas.  Thanks for the inputs, but not gonna change a thing for me.

Happy travels.

:)) :))

It sounds like the discussion is getting a bit heated. Please back it down a notch or two, guys.

Oldgator73 said:
I don't think it's heated. My wife and I have heated exchanges. Sometimes we have hallway sex. We pass each other in the hallway and she says screw you and I say screw you.

Classic case of TMI. ^^^^^^

At no point did I ask for any ones opinion on my set up.  I really don't give 2 shits about your opinions nor do I want them.  If I did, I would ask for it. 

Been driving tractor trailers, towing campers, boats and explosives for 30+ years.  This site is ok, but the pushy F'ing people ruin it.  This place is worse than facebook. 

Lou Schneider said:
It sounds like the discussion is getting a bit heated. Please back it down a notch or two, guys.

NOW....it's getting heated....

ammotroop1991 said:
At no point did I ask for any ones opinion on my set up.  I really don't give 2 shits about your opinions nor do I want them.  If I did, I would ask for it. 

Been driving tractor trailers, towing campers, boats and explosives for 30+ years.  This site is ok, but the pushy F'ing people ruin it.  This place is worse than facebook. 

Everyone says it can't be done, 

I have a motorhome.... so I have no dog in this fight.

But I live in an RV park, ... and every once and while I see an out-of-state F150 pulling smaller 5th wheel come in. (and once a hemi half ton Ram )

Be safe.

TonyDtorch said:
(and once a hemi half ton Ram )

Be safe.

There's a local guy here that pulls a fiver with a half ton Ram. He has air bags, only pulls it locally on flat ground, and takes his time. His tows are less than 15 miles each way. It can be done in the somewhat good situation, but it doesn't make it right. He knows he's overloaded, but can't justify another truck just to pull his camper three or four times a year. Even he will tell he shouldn't be doing what he's doing.

you are a truck driver, so you know...as a private vehicle you will never have to go through scales.

Now,  every pickup truck pilot/engineer on here is going to come back and say...... " it puts my family in danger on the roads !!  :eek: " .

Well, so does speeding.....and there's way more idiots pulling 5ers doing that.

IMO.  that yellow sticker GVW rating has a lot more to do with Tax revenue and warranty issues than it does for "Safety" .

TonyDtorch said:
you are a truck driver, so you know...as a private vehicle you will never have to go through scales.

Now,  every pickup truck pilot/engineer on here is going to come back and say...... " it puts my family in danger on the roads !!  :eek: " .

Well, so does speeding.....and there's way more idiots pulling 5ers doing that.

IMO.  that yellow sticker GVW rating has a lot more to do with Tax revenue and warranty issues than it does for "Safety" .

I have to agree with Tony. I fulltimed for 5 years and before that we crisscrossed the US every 2-3 years for 24 years and we travel quite a bit now. I saw more unsafe driving from those in cars and on motorcycles than I saw what could be considered overloaded trucks towing RV's. As for folks speeding pulling RV's I also agree. Seen it many times and did it many times. That's how I blew several tires on our 5th wheel. I see many folks tooling down the highway at 80-90 mph towing RV's. I also rarely see accidents these days.

Some people get their undies all bunched up about that "Absoulute GVW Rating" on the yellow sticker.

So, if you go have your camper weighed and it was 200lbs  O V E R L O A D E D....you should go get a new truck or cancel your vacation ? ?  really ?

DOT used to only ding me at scales if the truck was over 1000lbs over. anything less than that was unimportant to them.

An extra 1000 lbs. on a truck that's regulatory limited to 80,000 lbs is one thing, a good portion of that can be within the scale's accuracy tolerances.  Being 200 lbs. overweight on an axle that's only structurally designed to carry 1200 lbs. is entirely different.

The first is being 1.25% beyond the regulatory limit but most likely not exceeding the design parameters of any components ... heck, states routinely allow the regulatory limits to be exceeded depending on what the truck is carrying or who's driving it.

The second is a 18% overload above and beyond the design parameters in a vehicle most likely piloted by a driver with limited experience handling a heavy load.  Hardly the same thing.

I have to agree with Lou 100% and no nobody cares about 100 lbs or 200lbs but when your an inexperienced road warrior dragging your bumper and the front tires are barely scimming the road because your 1000lbs over or 175% of your ratings its a whole different ball game

1000lbs is very easy to be over- 500lbs with a hitch or pin weight, 100lbs for a hitch 200 on a fith wheel and 3 kids in the truck with 5 bikes in the box and you have a recipe for disaster - i have seen it first hand

Oldgator73 said:
I have to agree with Tony. I fulltimed for 5 years and before that we crisscrossed the US every 2-3 years for 24 years and we travel quite a bit now. I saw more unsafe driving from those in cars and on motorcycles than I saw what could be considered overloaded trucks towing RV's. As for folks speeding pulling RV's I also agree. Seen it many times and did it many times. That's how I blew several tires on our 5th wheel. I see many folks tooling down the highway at 80-90 mph towing RV's. I also rarely see accidents these days.

"Speeding is how you blew several tires" what you didnt learn after the first few ::)

steveblonde said:
"Speeding is how you blew several tires" what you didnt learn after the first few ::)

You would think, huh! I was fueling and a guy with a car hauler was next me. We struck up a conversation and I mentioned I blew a few trailer tires. He asked how fast I was driving and I said about 75 or 80. He said myntruck tires were quite a bit taller than my trailer tires therefor the trailer tires are going faster. He said slow down to 60-65 and you won't blow anymore tires. He was right. I didn't have a computer or cell phone back then so didn't have access to this forum.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom