rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Need advice on Ford F150  (Read 4721 times)

TonyDtorch

Re: Need advice on Ford F150
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
Steve...you are absolutely right.   Labels are very important for people today.

Here is one I propose should be on every RV.... ;)

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2018, 02:02:58 PM »

Lmao :)
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2014 F150 Ecoboost Reg cab (company truck) daily driver
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded  5167lbs cargo/weight capacity
Selling truck parts for 15 yrs plus
" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »

That label should be on all products.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »
I occasionally tow my bobcat on a 16í trailer.  It is how I get it to the dealer for service. My hemi Ram 1500 pulls it just fine but I know I am about 3000 lbs over what the truck is rated for.
Stopping it is another matter. I need lots of room for stopping.  I donít even want to think what might happen if I needed to do emergency maneuvers. So, I take the back roads and keep the speed way down and leave lots of room in front.

Can I pull it? Yup. Stopping is where it tells me I am way overloaded.

Oh, I have a utility trailer I tow which is just a bit under the truck rating. It feels plenty safe.

TonyDtorch

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2018, 04:07:38 PM »
Next time,  you might have them also service the brakes on that 16' trailer.

There should be a sticker about that somewhere on it ...( ::) )
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:06:59 PM by TonyDtorch »

eskasteve

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2018, 03:32:03 PM »
Hi all - I've just retired and am considering buying an UltraLite 5th wheel so I can pull it with a half ton pickup.  Am very interested in the Ford F150 with the 3.5L 6 cylinder turbocharged EcoTech engine.  Does anyone have any experience with this engine?  Any comments, complaints, or suggestions would be extremely welcome!

We towed our 26.5ft travel trailer for a 3 years with a 2007 F150 probably about 8-10,000 miles. For the most part it had enough power but more would have been better. Power was not the reason that I replaced it with an F250. The F150 brakes, transmission, axles, differential, u-joints, radiator, chassis, tires, and I'm sure that I've missed some, are all less heavy duty than the F250. I was always worried that my transmission would fail as it did overheat more then a few times. Other possible failures were always on my mind when traveling. The F250 has a much more planted and solid feel to it. My first tow was from Gold Canyon, AZ to Anacortes, WA. in October of 2017. It was a night and day difference. It towed so well that on our return trip home we stayed off of the major roads and enjoyed a much more scenic and relaxing tour home. When I bought my 2017 F250 diesel I could have bought a 2017 F250 with the big gas engine for about what a nice F150 was selling for. The dealership couldn't give the gassers away. My advice would be to go F250 either gas or diesel.

Edit: Fixed Close Quote tag
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:45:50 PM by Lou Schneider »

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »
Next time,  you might have them also service the brakes on that 16' trailer.

There should be a sticker about that somewhere on it ...( ::) )

Brakes and wheel bearings are pretty new. Trailer is in tip top shape.

TonyDtorch

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »
something may be wrong with the adjustment,

The brakes on that flatbed (likely a surge brake) should be very helpful stopping the trailer.. especially with a heavy load like a Bob Cat.   A trailer surge brake system typically only works great on a fully loaded trailer.  If they are adjusted too much they will lock up the wheels at low speeds.

It's been my experience... Trucks towing surge brake trailers typically stop far worse with an empty trailer.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:50:16 PM by TonyDtorch »

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »
something may be wrong with the adjustment,

The brakes on that flatbed (likely a surge brake) should be very helpful stopping the trailer.. especially with a heavy load like a Bob Cat.   A trailer surge brake system typically only works great on a fully loaded trailer.  If they are adjusted too much they will lock up the wheels at low speeds.

It's been my experience... Trucks towing surge brake trailers typically stop far worse with an empty trailer.

Electric brakes. I can adjust the controller to lock em up at low speed.

The issue is that the ratio of trailer weight to truck doesnít feel good for a truck that light.

TonyDtorch

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »
then fully loaded at lower speeds... it should stop the truck when you hit the trailer brake.

the trailer to truck weight ratio is way off on tractor trailer rigs.

In fact, with properly setup brakes and controller you should be able to safely tow that trailer ( move the Bob Cat back to the perfect point) with a Craftsman riding lawnmower in low gear.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:26:37 PM by TonyDtorch »