Need advice on Ford F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
Who ever thought an F-150 would cost $60k?

My 2017 F350 dually rang in at just over 70k on the window sticker100k cdn  ( of course i paid way less ) but i never imagined i would spend that sort of money on a truck - an exotic sports car maybe but not a truck, and ive added accessories after the fact, tonnou cover Fuel wheels etc and now i have a truck pymt for 5 yrs - put it out of reach for a lot of people - sad when you think about it

Way back when (1999) I had a Dodge Ram, 2500 Cummins Diesel, single cab, Dana 80 rear end, 5 speed standard. The payload was rated at 3900 lbs. I hade a Jake brake installed by Cummins. Our 5th wheel was 37', triple axle, triple slide. Don't know the actual weight but imagine it was around 12k. We fulltimed for 5 years with this setup. Never had any problems. When I would hitch up the truck would not even squat an inch. I really liked the truck. The only problem was back then Dodge did not do a good job with fit and finish. Maybe different story now.

steveblonde said:
My 2017 F350 dually rang in at just over 70k on the window sticker100k cdn  ( of course i paid way less ) but i never imagined i would spend that sort of money on a truck - an exotic sports car maybe but not a truck, and ive added accessories after the fact, tonnou cover Fuel wheels etc and now i have a truck pymt for 5 yrs - put it out of reach for a lot of people - sad when you think about it

Paid $67K for my F250 on a Monday and paid $45K for my 5W that Saturday.  Expensive week but worth it :)

steveblonde said:

Yep. Nobody ever said this was going to be a cheap hobby/lifestyle. When we fulltimed in the late 90,s early 2000's the total for truck and rig was about $55k. Now it seems the same setup will cost about $150k.

Oldgator73 said:
Your handle is ammotroop. Which branch?

USAF Ammo.  Came in 91 and still going.  Hit 27 years next month and stationed at SJAFB

steveblonde said:
c
ammo your still overweight - sorry

How is he overweight? The Trailer GVWR is 12,560 lbs. looks like the max 5th wheel towing capacity is 16,500 and payload is 3400 lbs. 20% of 12,500 is 2512. That would leave him about 900 lbs for people and cargo in the truck.

Thanks Old Gator!  ;D

Truck GVWR 10,000
Truck weight 6,100
Hitch is 2,100 ish
Me, Girl, Pitbull 350
Firewood and gear 1,000

Have 450 to spare for beer 

Trailer is 11.5K ish loaded. 

Truck is good and had no issues towing the trailer 200 miles from SC.

ammotroop1991 said:
Thanks Old Gator!  ;D

Truck GVWR 10,000
Truck weight 6,100
Hitch is 2,100 ish
Me, Girl, Pitbull 350
Firewood and gear 1,000

Have 450 to spare for beer 

Trailer is 11.5K ish loaded. 

Truck is good and had no issues towing the trailer 200 miles from SC.

If you've got a F250 Supercrew 4x4 Diesel, your truck weight is way over 6100 lbs.  You are in the neighborhood of 7500 lbs....probably a lot closer to 7800 or 7900 lbs.  As I stated earlier, I had almost the same truck except yours is more loaded than mine was......and I had 2148 lbs of payload.  Go check that sticker I referenced in my earlier post....just be sitting down when you do.

Guess I should have said 6,100 ish.  Truck is good.

Oldgator73 said:
How is he overweight? The Trailer GVWR is 12,560 lbs. looks like the max 5th wheel towing capacity is 16,500 and payload is 3400 lbs. 20% of 12,500 is 2512. That would leave him about 900 lbs for people and cargo in the truck.

no way is payload 3400lbs on a F250

Cougar says hitch is 2165 THATS EMPTY and an "average ship weight" bet the actual unit is way higher

Ford brochure says my payload is is 6540 but REAL PAYLOAD as per the door decal is 1300 lbs less than that

what does the sticker say

steveblonde said:
no way is payload 3400lbs on a F250

Cougar says hitch is 2165 THATS EMPTY and an "average ship weight" bet the actual unit is way higher

Ford brochure says my payload is is 6540 but REAL PAYLOAD as per the door decal is 1300 lbs less than that

what does the sticker say

Cougar says trailer GVWR is 12,500 lbs. I took 20% of that and came up with 2500 lb pin weight. Ford says the CCC for his truck is 3400 lbs. if that is correct he will be fine. In any case he is comfortable with his truck and trailer combination. IMHO there are many on this forum that think they are experts when in fact they are just weekend warriors like the rest of us. I have heard numerous folks here say "you can't have too much truck". But when I say why don't we all drive Peterbuilts or Freightliners the response I get is they are too expensive. If he comes back and says he has reevaluated the situation and says he is opting for a bigger truck, then so be it. Until then I am taking his word that he believes it is safe and he is comfortable with the combination. For those that aren't comfortable with his decision maybe you should ask for his itinerary and take an opposite route.

Oldgator73 said:
Cougar says trailer GVWR is 12,500 lbs. I took 20% of that and came up with 2500 lb pin weight. Ford says the CCC for his truck is 3400 lbs. if that is correct he will be fine. In any case he is comfortable with his truck and trailer combination. IMHO there are many on this forum that think they are experts when in fact they are just weekend warriors like the rest of us. I have heard numerous folks here say "you can't have too much truck". But when I say why don't we all drive Peterbuilts or Freightliners the response I get is they are too expensive. If he comes back and says he has reevaluated the situation and says he is opting for a bigger truck, then so be it. Until then I am taking his word that he believes it is safe and he is comfortable with the combination. For those that aren't comfortable with his decision maybe you should ask for his itinerary and take an opposite route.

That Ford CCC that you are stating (in bold print above), is from some brochure or table....not the actual yellow/white sticker on HIS truck.  If you read all the print in those charts, those are baseline numbers for stripped down models with the bare minimum of equipment.  He has already stated that he has a Lariat, CC, 4x4, Diesel.  As I stated before, my previous truck was identical, except it had LESS stuff on it than his does.....which means I had more payload than he does.....and I only had 2148 lbs.  So, you might see that some of us "experts" as you call them, might know just a thing or two about his situation......especially when we've been there, done that!

My present truck, a 2016 F350 DRW CC, 4x4, King Ranch, Diesel shows 5710 for max. payload or CCC.  My actual sticker on the door post is 5270 lbs.  That's almost a 450 lb difference.  And trust me, it's a LOT more of a difference on his truck. 

We'll see, if and when he posts his actual numbers from the door sticker.  His 2017 isn't going to be much different than my 2011 F250, except like I said.....he's got a Lariat and I had a XLT

Good grief...the weight cops hijacked another 1/2 ton thread now attacking another member with a 3/4 ton truck    :(  :-[

longhaul said:
Good grief...the weight cops hijacked another 1/2 ton thread now attacking another member with a 3/4 ton truck    :(  :-[

Your missing the point Longhaul - and Old gater just because you drove a tractor trailer for arguments sake a Peterbuilt and you pulled say a lowboy, does that mean you can drag around an 80,000 lb earthmover or 2 20,000 lb rolls of rolled steel? but, NO YOU DRIVE A SEMI YOU CAN DO ANYTHING right ? Of course not, the point is overloaded is NOT safe period. regardless of what you drive or tow. PUBLISHED  numbers are guidlines only

Proffesional drivers are on average better than a weekend warrior and MAY be able to handle an overwieght load better but ignorance is not an excuse for supidity

The so called " weight police " like myself have more than 20 years in the truck and rv business i have built 1000's of commercial trucks from oil field to 50,000 lbs flat decks with 60ft pickers and 100s and 100s of flat decks on 1 ton 3 ton and 5 ton trucks.  i grew up in the rv business  as my father was the plant manager that built Scamper, Skipper and Glendale trailers,i raced bikes professionally for years . So yeah i know something about weights and capabilities

Ps i dont know xrated from a hole in the ground but he is 100% correct

longhaul said:

Hijacked????  Attacked????  Are you serious??  The O.P. changed his own mind and bought a 3/4T truck instead of his original thought of buying a 1/2T truck.  Explain how that is "Hijacking"!  And as far as "attacking" another member, is that what you call it when someone is trying to help a person out so that he or she is within the safe towing limits of the vehicle?  You definitely have a "different" way of viewing things if you think that way!  Or maybe you are just one of those that think it's OK to tow in an overloaded condition.....I don't know you personally, so I don't know which of the two possibilities that it is.

The bottom line is that with the truck/trailer combination that he presently has, he is going to be pretty far over his payload capacity on the truck when he places that much pin weight on it....and that's before adding the hitch and whatever else he takes along.  Offering sound advice, in my case, based on personal experience, seems to be what all of us should be doing. 

Back
Top Bottom